Chapter 5 - Apathy - III

"How was your day?" Will asked, glancing up from his laptop.

  "I think Julian's trying to take over the town," Rachel answered, exhausted. She took her shoes off and laid them carefully by the entryway, in contrast to Will's lazily tossed sneakers. It was a habit she'd picked up from Rika, and in her modern mindset the organization and cleanliness appealed to her far more. She wished Will would do the same, but knew it was completely at odds with his laid-back personality. That same relaxed—but still quite aware—mindset was what had originally attracted her in the first place. Rachel was always so stressed and anxious in life, both before she'd enhanced her mind and after, that having someone she could rely on to bring her down to earth was a godsend.

  She took off her jacket as well, hanging it on the post, and took up her favorite blanket draped over the back of the couch. Will picked up the laptop and set it on the table, making space for her. Rachel stretched out her legs across the couch, letting her head rest in his lap warmed from the heat of the computer.

  "What did Viper want?"

  Will shuddered. "Apparently someone is interfering with his stuff, stealing his materials. Says someone's trying to kill him."

  "And he came to you?" Rachel asked, confused. As far as most knew, Will was aware, but not awakened.

  "Nah, he wanted you. Still, I looked into it after Mason got me down. Couldn't see a thing connecting to Viper's usual hideaways."

  "Hm," Rachel murmured. "Who's crazy enough to go after Viper, and skilled enough to hide it?"

  "No idea, but I'm scared of them."

  "Keep an eye out, honey?"

  "Of course."

  Rachel smiled and closed her eyes to concentrate. This was normally one of the best ways for her to puzzle out problems. Will's presence surrounding her gave her peace of mind she simply didn't know otherwise. She felt safe and secure here, and her mind was freed from local concerns, letting her focus on the big picture. Will had one hand running through her hair gently while he continued to work, and she simply rested there. They enjoyed the silence together.

  Today, however, Rachel's brain could not reach out to consider plans for expanding the council, or the various eventualities she had considered for contact with the outside world. Her last conversation with Kendra was stuck at the forefront of her mind, nagging Rachel to respond to the accusations that had been thrown at her.

  "Will, am I prejudiced against awakened people?" Rachel asked, her eyes still closed.

  "I think we're gonna need a word for that eventually. Magic-ist? Gray-ist?"

  "Gray-ist?"

  "Because every last one of them are always wearing that same plain black or gray hoodie and dark jeans."

  "Why are people still doing that anyway? Didn't we already prove that clothing doesn't even affect rituals?"

  "Maybe it's just a cool fashion trend now. Hey, remember when you were into fashion?"

  Rachel laughed. "I spent so many days with Hailey Winscombe in Seattle scoping out new clothes."

  "I'm just glad she got you out of that 'dresses are sexist' phase."

  "But seriously, honey," Rachel asked again, opening her eyes to look up at the face she loved. "Kendra said something today. Well, I said something, and she pointed it out. That I think we're all unnatural. Is that wrong of me?"