Chapter 25 - The Greatest Magic Ever Assembled - VIII

Rachel hurtled headlong through the woods, heedless of the danger she was more than likely heading into. She'd seen the results of a broken ritual firsthand and secondhand several times over—with her own, with past Council experiments and now with Jessica as well. She'd seen the potential scale of disaster that was possible from Julian's reckless hydrogen experiment.

  Now, with no less than the most powerful awakened in the world combining their power under Cinza, Rachel wouldn't be surprised by anything that came out of it.

  Rachel had to get there before Omega did.

  She didn't make it.

  There was a ear-shattering rumble of sound. It was like a bass note so low that it was barely perceptible, and yet the pressure felt like it would crumble her eardrums. Rachel clapped her hands to her head, falling to the ground in agony. Her over-sensitive ears felt like they were on fire.

  The ground shook. Rachel felt a gentle force grab her from above, affecting her entire body at once. It felt like she were being pulled straight into the sky. She was lifted off her feet and brought slowly into the air. It wasn't exactly painful, but it was discomforting. Far more disturbing was the sight of the town that she could barely make out through the trees.

  Sounds of tearing and scraping reverberated across the landscape. Anything with metal tore itself to shreds throughout Rallsburg. Rachel could see entire buildings splitting apart at the seams as metal shot through wood and flung into the sky, far more violently than she'd been. The radio tower crumpled and splintered away from its concrete foundation. The only structures that seemed unaffected were the looming spires of the old library, standing firm while the rest of Rallsburg was ripped to pieces.

  The screaming started. Shouts of pain and terror filled her ears, only to be drowned out a moment later. The unseen force vanished in the blink of an eye.

  Rachel fell back to the ground, and the town fell along with her.