Chapter 17 - A Gentleman and a Doctor - I

"I'm sorry about that," Cinza said, closing the door to the cabin behind her.

  "What?" Rachel asked, sucking in the cool fresh air of the forest. Anything to help clear her head and bring her back to a normal state of mind.

  "Ruby tends to get a bit... enthusiastic."

  "Was she trying to, err... seduce me?"

  "Something like that," Cinza replied, shrugging. Outside, removed from the firelight glow and warmth of the cabin, she seemed far more like her usual self—though still without the air of mystique she put on for the public. Cinza seemed to be comfortable talking to Rachel normally, or perhaps that was another manipulation. Rachel couldn't be sure. Not in her present condition.

  "What part of that was me, and what was her?" Rachel asked.

  "Ruby and I are both of the Nature affinity," Cinza said, prompting another small shock for Rachel. Affinities tended to be treated as very personal information, so to reveal one's so openly was a large measure of trust. "She may have gotten a little carried away messing with the air in the cabin." Seeing Rachel's concern, Cinza shook her head. "Rest assured, Mason's Law still applies. Ruby could not have forced you to do anything you didn't want to. Nor would she."

  Rachel didn't feel particularly comforted. "Do you two do this to everyone?"

  "What?" Her eyes softened and she looked away in embarrassment. Rachel felt immediate regret at her accusation. "No, never. She— I'm sorry, I." Cinza cleared her throat, then looked back to Rachel with renewed conviction. "Please don't blame Ruby. I told her that I felt a bond with you and wanted to know you better, and she interpreted it as wanting to bring you into our bed. Which is not something I'm opposed to, but I wouldn't dream of coercing you into anything. Ruby's addictions notwithstanding, I let myself get carried away. I apologize."

  'That's... that's all right." Rachel felt her face flare up. She'd never been in this sort of situation before. Even with Will, Rachel had been the one to approach. Being overly tall and not particularly attractive had made her high school dating life little more than wishful thinking.

  Cinza sat down on the small bench just outside the cabin. She was looking at Rachel, but their eyes weren't quite meeting. Cinza's focus kept darting to various places on the wall behind her. "I hope this won't harm our relationship going forward. I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable."

  "No, it's okay. It's just... not my thing. I mean, I don't know if it is. I've never—can we change the subject?"

  "Certainly," Cinza said, barely suppressing a laugh. She stood again, brushing dirt off her robe. Her eyes were focused and sharp once more. "So, what's the exact plan here for the Scrap?"

  Relief ebbed into Rachel at the change of topic, though she still felt a little flustered. "It'll be at Hector's tonight, in the safe above his shop. He sleeps there, so he doesn't usually ever have it unguarded, but I'll get him away for a while. You'll know when to move in."

  "A signal?"

  "Not sure, but I'll make it obvious."

  She nodded. "And then we regroup."

  "We'll meet back here tomorrow. I think we should start meeting regularly, so that it just looks like the start of a routine."

  "Right," Cinza agreed, nodding. She smiled. "I'm glad you'll be coming around more often."

  Rachel wasn't sure how the comment was intended, and hesitated before responding. "It's just to coordinate our efforts."

  Cinza shook her head. "I didn't mean for anything else, of course. Honestly, I'm just glad to finally speak with someone on level terms, as I'm sure you are. Agreed?"

  Rachel nodded in relief. "Agreed."

  Cinza nodded. "As for Reverend Smith—"

  "Is it going to be a problem?"

  Cinza gestured around her encampment. A couple were returning with wood whom Rachel didn't recognize. Morton was talking with Makoto, who was laughing at one of his jokes while they shared a meal near their fresh harvest. Nicole Parsons—who was unawakened, as far as Rachel knew—was helping to clear out a space for an apparent third cabin to accompany the first two. The couple from out of town brought the fresh logs over and set them down where Nikki indicated, then started work on cutting them down to the right size.

  A cheer erupted from the harvesters. Aaron and Nate both stood and rushed over to the other cabin. Yusuf, the man who had been burned in the forest, had just walked out the door. His arm was still bandaged and he looked unsteady on his feet, but he was already well on the mend. Aaron looked about to tackle him, but wisely held back at the last minute and settled for a one-armed hug, then helped him to a bench and gave him some of the fresh-picked fruit.

  Cinza smiled. "It's a real family. I never knew what one was until I made my own. You can understand why I'm reluctant to allow anyone into our home."

  Rachel nodded. "What if you came with me to meet him, today? His house isn't that far. I think he might surprise you."

  She sighed. "If it makes your life easier, Rachel. I make no promises, but I will meet with the man." She glanced down at herself and laughed. "Let me go get properly dressed, then I'll walk you back to town. I wouldn't want you to get lost out in the woods." Rachel opened her mouth, full of indignation, but Cinza interrupted. "Not to besmirch your sense of direction, of course. I mean that the forest out here is not what it seems."

  "So that's why it was so hard," she grumbled.

  Cinza laughed again, quite smug. "Even Omega himself would have a hard time finding our home."