Interlude III - Family - III

"Makoto's here," Cinza whispered to Ruby. She stiffened and shrank deeper into their bundle of cloaks. Her face was as red as her curls. Cinza laughed. "Don't worry, he's not looking."

  "Couldn't you have warned me?"

  "I wanted to see your expression," she teased.

  Ruby shook her head in embarrassment, but she smiled to let Cinza know she wasn't really angry. "Give me my shirt."

  They took a few minutes to get dressed and presentable. Cinza dressed quickly, thanks to the more simple and athletic clothes she preferred. Ruby liked extravagance, so her garments were a great deal more complicated. As she tried awkwardly to pull her look back together without leaving the sanctuary of their makeshift tree bed, Cinza swirled her cloak back around herself and crossed the clearing to join Makoto, who was facing away from them into the deep black of the forest.

  Her other lieutenant was a Japanese young man, the same age as herself. He was a full foot taller than her, with thick strong muscles and short black hair. He rarely spoke, and was the type who actually enjoyed staying well away from the spotlight. It wasn't that he shirked responsibility—in fact, Cinza felt that she could rely upon him without question. He merely put himself into the servant role willingly, accepting whatever tasks given without complaint and completing them with professionalism and skill far outstripping anyone else. Only Ruby could match him in raw magical talent, but she was lazy. Makoto kept up a daily practice regimen that could put any military to shame.

  "We were successful," Cinza said. Makoto had been the only other member of the family aware of their mission that night, though she would be confessing to the rest that night. She hadn't liked keeping information from them, but it was at Rachel's personal request.

  Makoto nodded. He wasn't surprised. He trusted in Cinza's leadership without question.

  "Everyone's gathered and ready?"

  Another nod.

  "Is something wrong?"

  Makoto frowned. "It's not my place to say." His voice was always quiet, but with a firm conviction spoke to the weight he placed behind his words. He never said anything without thinking.

  Cinza was intrigued. Makoto rarely voiced his opinions beyond matters of strategy or tactics. "You're closer to me than the rest of the family, Makoto. I trust you," she said quietly. "There is nothing I would not welcome your input on."

  "I..." Makoto began, but he hesitated once again. Once again, it was remarkably out of character for the young man. Cinza was happy to see him beginning to emerge from his shell. It reminded her of herself, so many years past, when she too had struggled to ever voice her emotions.

  "I'm ready, Cinza. Hi, Makoto," Ruby said, startling them both. She was clad in her robe once again, with her low-cut top just visible inside the fold. She still looked flustered and red-faced. Cinza suppressed teasing her, now that they were returning to the world proper. There was a time and a place, and in public they had agreed they would act as leader and lieutenant. As the Emergence continued and spread, a chain of command would be vital to their survival as a family. Only in private would Ruby treat her as an equal, where they could be themselves and simply enjoy each other's company.

  Makoto turned to her and bowed, immediately falling silent. Cinza wondered what he had been about to say, but it was certainly lost now. There was no way he'd finish his thought with Ruby present. They followed him through the thick forest to the clearing he'd selected. On the way, Cinza brought him up to speed on the encounters they'd had in town, from the eager reverend to the mob that had confronted Nathaniel Price. Makoto nodded and asked a few clarifying questions, but otherwise did not comment on their brief sojourn.