Chapter 20 - Consequences - II

Rachel rushed back to Cinza's people, Rowan at her heels. Jackie was busy herding people back to town. The short girl was taking stock of the wounded. Rachel did a quick headcount, and her heart skipped a beat.

  "Only seven of you?" she asked fearfully.

  Cinza shook her head. "The others already escaped. Nate ran, but I doubt he went far. Rufus went out to find him. Brittany and Matthew are back at our home, but Brittany lost her leg to the bear trap. We had to cut it off." She spoke so nonchalantly that Rachel shuddered. She couldn't imagine what Cinza had gone through that night.

  Morton was still bleeding. Makoto was doing his best to stem the wound, but there was only so much they could do. Rachel wheeled on Rowan. "You need to call in a helicopter."

  "Will it be fast enough?" Rowan asked, already pulling out his phone.

  "It'll have to be," she replied. "Call one out of Olympia. The nearest Life Flight chopper is too far."

  He nodded. Within seconds he was already talking to someone from emergency services. Luckily for them, ambulance by helicopter wasn't unheard of up in the foothills, where a critical condition couldn't possibly be carried fast enough on the ground. With his past connections in the area, Rowan could get them help immediately, no questions asked. Rachel turned to Cinza. "You'll need to send someone with them, so they can pick up Brittany."

  She shook her head. Blood was dripping from a split lip, a harsh contrast to her silver-grey hair and pale skin. "They can't land there."

  "I know you don't want anyone to fin—"

  "No, I mean they literally cannot. The helicopter would break apart before it could land. The trees are too thick. What you saw wasn't accurate to the landscape." She frowned. "There's a clearing that's close, though. If Brittany can make it there..." She glanced at Makoto, who was at her side in an instant. "How long will it take for the helicopter to reach us?"

  Rachel did some quick mental math from what she'd read about the helicopter models available and the distance between Olympia and their location. "About fourteen minutes if they fly at normal speed. Seven if they use their fastest airframe."

  Cinza nodded to Makoto. "Signal them in after they land here." He took off at a sprint into the forest. She looked around at her people. "Nicole, do you know the clearing I mean?"

  Nikki Parsons emerged from the trees, looking dazed and a little battered. She too sported a few cuts and bruises. Rachel felt a little more dismay at each new member of Cinza's family that had been hurt that night. Nikki nodded confidently.

  "Good," Cinza smiled. "When the helicopter arrives, you're with Morton. Show them where to land so they can pick up Brittany." She paused. "How many can the helicopter hold?"

  "They use EC145 Airbus choppers, which have a capacity of two pilots and eight passengers," Rachel rattled off. She was glad to have anything else to focus on.

  "Thanks." She looked at Nikki with a grave expression. "Nicole, if you wish to stay with them and go to Olympia, it's your decision. We'll see you when you get back either way."

  She still looked stunned from the ordeal she'd just been through, and didn't reply. She was the youngest in the group besides maybe Ruby, as far as Rachel knew. Rachel didn't blame her for being overwhelmed. From the brief snippet on the livestream, Rachel had only caught the very end of a vicious brawl. She was amazed that Cinza's people had escaped injury as much as they had.