Interlude II - Selling One's Soul - VI

Brian stepped out from behind a tree once he was sure the man was alone.

  "Jesus, Brian," Robert breathed, lowering his rifle. "You oughta give me some warning."

  "Sorry." He shrugged. "So what happened?"

  "Everythin' you said was true, about the electricity burns on the bodies and the time of death and whatnot." Brian had supplied the electricity burn information at Jackson's request, though he still wasn't sure why exactly. Jackson had said it was 'a gift to an old friend', but his tone had been dripping with irony. "Made 'em look like idiots for a bit, til they took over the meeting."

  "What?"

  "Yeah. Now they're working with the mayor and the sheriff. Some girl named Rachel. You know her?"

  "Rachel DuValle? Tall—taller than you, actually—and straight brown hair? Always looks a little bit lost?"

  "Not so much the last part, but yeah, that's her."

  Brian frowned. "She's one of my tenants." Realization struck him as he recalled a strange incident a year back—involving a series of explosions and gemstones in the girl's room that had utterly terrified Natalie. His eyes narrowed. "She's one of them?"

  "The leader, apparently. Speakin' o' which," Robert added, giving him a glare, "you knew about all this shit, didn't you?"

  "What?"

  "Magic, goddammit! Magic's real and these kids all have it, apparently. And you knew, didn't you?"

  "I... yes. I did."

  "And you didn't tell me?" Robert growled.

  "I'm sorry. I should have. I didn't think you'd believe me."

  Robert sighed. "We've been friends since you moved here, man. I've got your back, just like I do now. You got mine?"

  "Yes."

  "Then keep me in the goddamn loop! Why are you out here all alone?"

  "For Natalie," Brian answered simply.

  Robert was taken aback. His tone dropped back to reasonable levels. "For your kid?"

  "So she doesn't grow up in a world tainted by them," he continued. "By these monsters with their magic. I've seen what they do. The greycloaks even fight amongst themselves. I've seen their leader put her people in harm's way for the fun of it." He paused, remembering what Jackson had told him. "And then there's Seth."

  Robert nodded. "That business at Dan's, you mean."

  Something at Dan's? Brian's heart fell. Dan was another of his few friends in town. Anything happening to the diner would be a nightmare. He tried to tease more information out of Robert while still sounding informed. "Think about the damage they could cause."

  "The wall's still got those burn marks all over," Robert nodded again. "I didn' see it myself, but Seth and Ryan and that out of town Asian girl were definitely responsible. Rachel didn' deny it." The older man paused, scratching his thick beard. "What about your little tyke though? Ain't Nat gonna be missin' her old man?"

  He frowned. "I can't go home until it's done."

  "But she's—"

  Brian shook his head. "I'm not good enough."

  "What?"

  "I've never been good enough. The world always made sure I knew that. Now, I have a chance to do something important. I can help save the world. But the only way is to be totally committed to this."

  "I don' envy you, man," Robert muttered. "I'll keep an ear out, I guess."

  "Thank you," Brian answered. Robert had offered to help before, but Brian declined. He didn't want to get anyone else involved; Jackson had more than enough power to take on the entire town alone, so long as they never entered.

  There were rules, apparently—and if Jackson abided by them, then the other demon residing in Rallsburg wouldn't interfere. He was an aloof monster who refused to intervene under any circumstances, by Jackson's description. Someone who wanted to watch the unnatural growth and change over time, like a scientist watching the town from a microscope on high. It made Brian sick. Someone treating these people like playthings, like an experiment to be watched and discarded. These were real, precious lives he was toying with, this mysterious pretender-god.

  Jackson's counterpart was too powerful, but he was also strict and predictable. Thus, Brian could act with impunity—for he had no magic and wouldn't even appear on the man's radar. Equipped with Jackson's weapons and his plans, Brian was practically unstoppable.

  "Jus' remember what you're fightin' for," Robert added.

  "How is she?"

  "Fine as far as I know. She's been stayin' with the British professor, Kendra Laushire. You know her?"

  "I've met her a few times." In fact, Brian had investigated her with the runestone, and breathed a sigh of relief when it hadn't vibrated at all. She was quietly one of the more powerful people in Rallsburg, particularly with her riches that had no ties to the Price feud with the logging union. "And Natalie seems all right?"

  "She's gettin' fed and homeschooled. I've kept an eye out, don' worry," Robert clapped a hand on his back. "I'm sure she'll be glad to see you home, after all this is done."

  Brian nodded. His motivations were redoubled. His daughter was safe and sound, though the world around her was anything but.

  His mission must continue.