Chapter 15 - The Heart of a Leader - I

Rachel might have to deal with Mabel Walsh.

  The old woman had a knack for slithering her way into every situation, whether she had any reason to be involved or not. She was one of the rare few with affinity for Knowledge magic. Her particular talents gave her a keen insight on falsehoods and deception, spells which she refused to expound upon for the rest of the Council. It was doubtful anyone else could actually accomplish much even if she had explained them, as Knowledge magic was particularly difficult for anyone without the affinity—but with the Council's express purpose in collaborating and coordinating the budding magical community, it was invariably frustrating for Rachel to see an elected councilor to be so opposed.

  Will spent many sleepless nights brainstorming various potential methods with Rachel on how they might imitate Mabel's abilities. They'd worked through the basics first—trying to detect increased physical reactions like eye movements and dilation, changes in breathing or sitting position, or any number of nearly-undetectable shifts in a person when attempting to lie. None produced as reliable results as Mabel could regularly produce.

  Will once surreptitiously monitored her from a few rooms away while Mabel had helped them interview a potential awakening candidate, which was how they'd determined her affinity. The discovery of Mabel as the third Knowledge affinity in town had placed the technique squarely in Will's domain—and totally out of Rachel's reach.

  Rachel was increasingly frustrated by her limited ability to cast spells. Her own affinity for Mental magic seemed paltry and useless compared to the feats regularly performed by Cinza or Natalie with their Nature magic, Will with his incredibly useful spells to track and determine magic, or whatever insane combination of abilities allowed Kendra to cast something as impossible as the Market. At best, Rachel's capabilities seemed to extend to modifying her own mental capacity and the method Will had discovered to view relationship connections. She'd put those two to the best effect she could manage, but in a fight (as Rallsburg seemed destined to slide into strife), Rachel felt utterly useless.

  She therefore resolved to provide her allies with the best weapons she could manage. If Rachel could not help on the frontlines, she would have to act as the tactician and armsmaster. All her efforts would be in support of the best general and fighter she could find. At the moment, that was the girl she was currently trekking through the thick mountain forest to find.

  Cinza had given her brief instructions on how to find their encampment, but Rachel had always been poor at navigating the world, as so many loved to remind her. She may have compensated for this by memorizing the entire town inch by inch, but that did little to help her maneuver through the ever-thickening woods. The best she could do was recognize any clearings or landmarks she had already passed.

  Her cell phone was out of range, so she couldn't call for help either. The only communication she maintained with the outside world was her connection to Will, strong and reliable as ever. Every so often, Rachel shifted to view it once again, just to remind herself it was there. However, due to the distance and the murky nature of such viewing, she couldn't use it even as a compass bearing.

  If only I'd thought to bring a compass, Rachel mused. She'd been in a bit of a rush, as she only had so long before her absence was noted. Will was covering for her, but Rachel's current mission was to remain an absolute secret between the three of them. Even the sheriff, as much as Rachel had grown to like the woman, couldn't know her current plan. If she were found out, it would split the Council down the middle and send them tumbling into far greater chaos and disarray.

  Rachel sat down on a log, feeling winded. She dug through her bag for a sandwich and munched it down. Nature wasn't exactly something she hated, but Rachel had never been particularly inclined toward it either. She regarded it with a mixed indifference: it could be beautiful, and it was certainly necessary for the world to function, but she had no need to actually go out and be in it. Pictures were plenty for her. She'd much rather be inside enjoying a book than taking a hike through the wilderness any day—not that she had time for either anymore. There was always too much to do.