Interlude I - A Year in the Life of Hailey Winscombe - II

II.

A warm day in May, one week later, in Hailey's apartment, just past noon.

  "Yeah, but what do you think it actually is?" Ian asked, as he casually tossed a ball of fire from one hand to the other. Hailey might have laughed at the image if it hadn't become so commonplace of late. Here they were, five normal college kids, and they could do magic! It was still mind-blowing to her every single day since they'd first discovered the page in her apartment.

  "It's dangerous, that's what it is," Hugo said darkly, his eyes following the fire bouncing between his best friend's hands with abject suspicion. He'd been the only one of their group not to read from the page. He'd regarded it as something demonic, and told them all they were making a dangerous mistake.

  None of them had paid him any mind. Not even Weston, who usually respected Hugo's opinions quite a bit.

  "It's okay Hugo, see?" Jessica said. "It's just energy, same as everything else in the universe. We just have a new way to manipulate it. Like all the things we've been able to do with electricity over the last century."

  "Right," Hailey said with finality. "Just like electricity. I mean, computers are practically black magic, aren't they? Do you have any clue how a computer works?"

  "A bunch of transistors that flip rapidly from off to on when a current is applied and make calculations that get output," Hugo shot back. "Just because I don't have as good of grades as you two doesn't make me ignorant."

  "So this is something else like that. Something's doing calculations somewhere with what we give it and making an output."

  "Hugo, don't be that guy. Look," Ian said, pointing at Weston. "Weston, show him what you figured out."

  Weston frowned. "Not really a show kind-of-thing."

  "Oh come on, it's cool as shit. You figured it out, you should be the one to demonstrate."

  "Figured out what?" Hailey said eagerly. She was always looking forward to the next bit of magic they'd managed to deduce. Ian and Weston tended to be the most creative of the four, while Jessica had the most raw ability. Hailey was neither talented nor creative, but she liked to think she made up for it with enthusiasm and dedication.

  Weston stood and rolled his shoulders before he continued. "Goes like this, right? I kinda feel out the whole room, like it's a part of me." He closed his eyes and furrowed his brow, murmuring under his breath.

  Nothing happened for a few moments. Hugo shot a look at Ian, but he just shook his head. Hailey knew better. Magic took time and effort for all of them, even Jessica. Nothing was instant, especially not something that apparently affected a whole room.

  A full minute went by. Jessica checked her watch impatiently. Hailey curled up on the sofa, watching with interest as Weston relaxed his muscles and opened his eyes. He let out a slow deep breath. They all gasped.

  His breath (and their own) was suddenly quite visible. In fact, the entire room was ice cold, like it was suddenly a winter night despite being the middle of May.

  Hailey burst into applause. Jessica and Ian laughed aloud. Weston flashed his trademark smile—just barely visible at the corners of his lips—as he sat down again.

  "Free A/C for life!" Ian cried.

  "Wes, can you make it warm too?" Hailey asked excitedly.