Chapter 16 - Angels and Devils - IV

It only took them a minute to strap Alden in. They walked awkwardly to the front door, where Hailey took off as soon as she'd gathered her breath. Since it was so dark out, and Rallsburg still didn't have a single light on, they had no fear of being spotted. Several heavy, fast wingbeats and they'd been launched into the air and far away from the doctor's clinic.

  Hailey took them on a direct route back to the apartment. She seemed as eager as Alden to be back on familiar ground. They didn't speak a word to each other the entire flight back. Alden wished he could have enjoyed the experience as much—particularly with the pain medication that now numbed his arm—but the memory of the voice was still echoing in his ears.

  They made a neat landing back onto the balcony, where Jessica was waiting patiently. She threw the sliding door open and caught Alden as he was unstrapped, before he lost his balance and fell to the hard floor below. Rika was dozing on the couch, but spluttered awake at the sudden activity.

  "Whaz goin' on?" she slurred. For a moment, Alden thought she was drunk. She slapped herself in the face with both hands, and her eyes came into sharp focus. "Thought you wouldn't be back til tomorrow at least."

  "Something happened," Hailey replied, sitting down and gesturing something at Jessica. She shook her head. Hailey pointed at her and gave a thumbs up, thumbs down gesture. Jessica returned a thumbs up. Hailey looked satisfied and turned back to Rika. "We... we overheard something."

  "I think we just found the murderer," Alden added quietly.

  "You did what?" Rika asked, sitting up straight so fast she appeared to teleport there. They recounted everything they'd heard, word by word. "Brian, Brian... who the fuck is Brian?"

  "I don't know either," Hailey answered exhaustedly. Even for someone of her talents, the flight had taken a bit out of her. Since they hadn't had any height to glide off of like the first flight, it had been a lot more effort to cut straight across town. Alden suspected she'd also put in as much as she could bear to get them home faster.

  Seeing Jessica sitting next to Hailey and holding her hand tight, Alden could see why.

  "If I had heard his voice, maybe..." Rika trailed off. "Goddammit."

  "We should tell someone," Alden said.

  "Tell who?"

  "Rachel."

  "Fuck off."

  "Rika, think this through."

  "I did," Rika retorted. "Rachel's a bitch. She's working with the cops and trying to get me arrested for something she knows I didn't do. She's a control freak who doesn't know how to butt out of other people's business."

  "We're dealing with a murderer who's already killed three people and will probably go for more. I think we just found the best suspect they've got so far, if they're still chasing you around. We need to give them something. Unless you want to call the sheriff?"

  Rika shook her head. "Not in a million years."

  "So we tell Rachel. She's not gonna turn you in." Alden paused. "She tried to warn you, remember?"

  Rika frowned. "She still doesn't deserve shit after trying to run me out of town, again."

  Alden switched tacks, deciding to speak her language instead. "Rika, this is fucking petty. You know she was trying to protect you. Rachel's still your friend." He turned to Hailey. "You agree, right?"

  Hailey nodded. "I don't have her number though. I could probably get it, but..."

  "But we don't have time for that," Alden snapped, turning back to Rika. "We're trapped in this town and there's someone out here killing people. So get your fucking phone out and dial. I'll even do the talking for you if you can't handle that."

  "The fuck did they put you on at the doctor's office," Rika murmured. Without any further protest, she withdrew her phone, unlocked it and scrolled through the contacts. A moment later, she handed the phone over to Alden. "Do it, then."

  The phone rang. Alden waited patiently, while Rika tried to look disinterested. Hailey and Jessica were quiet, Jessica trying to look engaged. Alden could see the undercurrent of frustration on her expression though. This was the first day she'd had real interaction with people other than Hailey in ages, and she still couldn't understand a word they were saying. He couldn't imagine what she was going through.

  Alden was greeted with a voicemail message after only a couple rings.

  "I think she blocked you," he said, disheartened. He set the phone down. He was at a loss for what to do next.

  "That's it?" Rika said snidely. "Fuck, Alden, I didn't think you were that much of a pushover."

  "Huh?"

  "If we're doing this, we're doing this. Get your own damn phone out."

  "You want to use my phone?"

  Rika sighed. "I'll use your phone, Hailey's phone, I'll route it through the NS-fucking-A if I have to. I'll reach her."