Interlude II - Selling One's Soul - VII

When Brian approached their usual meeting place, he was startled to hear Jackson already talking to someone else. As far as he knew, Jackson only spoke to Brian, beyond the occasional muttering in that broken and haunted language of magic that Brian did his best to ignore. Brian got the impression Jackson was terribly lonely, though the young man hid it well.

  Jackson was speaking, and someone else was answering. A much smaller voice, soft and feminine and nervous—a massive contrast to Jackson's somber rumble. Brian hid behind a tree, not daring to look out at the growing argument. Jackson was a deeply private person, by Brian's measure—he wouldn't want an intruder. Still, Brian couldn't help himself. After so many days with the man, Brian was eager to get another perspective on his ally.

  "—a warning, and if it's not heeded, there's nothing more I can do," Jackson said. Brian noted the concern in his voice. It wasn't a threat, but exasperation. The sort of tone a parent might take when talking about a troublesome child.

  "You won't hurt him though, will you?"

  "It's not under my control, BB. It's Alpha's choices that brought us here," Jackson sighed.

  "Yes it is, Jack!" she said. "You two need to stop this stupid fight. And stop using those dumb names. It's not doing anyone any good."

  "If I stop, the world will end."

  "Stop being so dramatic. You don't know that."

  "And Alpha might not be right either. I don't want to risk a terrible world where everyone has this sort of power at their fingertips."

  "Jack..." The girl trailed off. Brian hesitated. It took him a few moments to build up the courage, but he peeked his head out just slightly around the tree.

  There was Jackson, head bowed and eyes dark and sorrowful. There was a girl hugging him, about the same age, with long, thick brown hair and distinct silver-grey eyes that seemed to sparkle even in the dim light of the forest. At first, Brian assumed that Jackson had been comforting her—but it was clear from a glance that he was overcome with emotion and she was the one holding him up.

  "I just want us to be friends again," the girl said quietly, while Jackson stared off into the distance with his eyes clouded and unfocused. At her words, though, he snapped back into being.

  "Friends?" he asked, and his tone was suddenly quite harsh. Brian recoiled involuntarily. "Friends with him?"

  "Jack, I..."

  "Are you forgetting that he tried to kill me?"

  "He didn—"

  "Look!" Jackson suddenly tore off his shirt, sending the girl a few paces back. Brian had to stifle a gasp. Jackson's body was covered in burns and scars.

  "Oh, Jack..." the girl said, tracing her hand across a large scar across his well-muscled chest. "I'm sorry. But why didn't you take care of these?"

  "I never read those pages," Jackson replied. "I don't know how to. And I'm not sure I want to."

  "What if I—"

  "No!" Jackson growled. The girl took another step back. "These remind me who I am... And what he did."

  The girl suddenly glanced over her shoulder, sending a shock of panic through Brian—but she was looking the other way. Towards the town, but not at Brian. He hadn't been noticed.

  "What?" Jackson asked.

  "I have to go," the girl answered.

  "No." Jackson took hold of her arm.

  She looked down at his fist like it was nothing. "This wouldn't stop me," she said quietly, and suddenly the nervous tone was gone. There was a brief undercurrent of power, something fiercer than Brian had ever heard in his life. It was like the gentle purr of a huge hunting cat—calm and relaxed, but unmistakable, ready to strike in an instant with absolute force.

  "No, but the rules might."

  She shook her head. "You two and your rules. I only agreed to get you to stop arguing. I thought you were going to blow up the rest of the library."

  "You did more than just keep them alive through incomplete readings. You talked to them."

  "I'm not going to just ignore everyone I meet."

  Jackson shook his head. "You broke the rules."

  "Are you going to punish me, Jack?" The girl's silver-grey eyes narrowed. "After all we've been through?"

  Jackson hesitated. His hand fell away from her wrist. "Of course not," he said, and his voice had dropped to the sorrowful tone from the beginning of the conversation. "I lo—"

  The girl twisted around immediately and vanished, a faint breeze wafting out from where she had disappeared.

  "—ve you, BB."

  Brian quickly pulled himself back behind the tree, as silent as he could manage. Jackson remained there for a long time, while the birds sang around them and the wind whistled through the leaves.