Chapter 25 - The Greatest Magic Ever Assembled - II

"Of course I know it's a lie," Robert growled, stumping along behind Rachel. He looked a little worse for wear after the brawl and the night spent in jail—not that Rachel particularly cared. They made their way back across town yet again, much slower than before. Rachel had already dodged several groups of would-be witch hunters armed with whatever they could find. People were taking Jackson's offer seriously—but thankfully Robert didn't seem to be one of them. "That bastard always seemed off to me."

  So why did he tell us something different? Rachel wondered. Is this just to make more chaos? "So you're still with us?"

  "I'm with Brian. I could give fuck-all about you. But he's not gonna let Brian's little girl survive this one way or another, and I'm not gonna let that happen." He glanced at Natalie, riding a few meters in front of them. "Even if she scares the hell out of me."

  It was good enough for Rachel. "You're sure you can get him to come out?"

  "Well, about that..."

  Rachel's eyes narrowed. "I don't have time for this, Robert."

  "I'll need your help to do it."

  "Explain."

  "I overheard him talkin' once. He's really shit at moving quiet-like in the woods, let me tell you. He was talkin' 'bout a way to find out who's got magic and who don't. Gave Brian somethin' that could tell him."

  Something to identify Awakened on sight that anyone can use? Rachel shuddered at the potential long-term implications. "How does this apply to us?"

  "Well, he also went on about actually findin' magic being used. But thing was, he apparently can only tell when certain kinds of magic are being used. Or certain people or somethin'. Special people."

  Something clicked in Rachel's mind—a snippet of what Hailey and Rika had told her about the attack at Boris' shop. "I know what he's talking about."

  "Great. So here's the plan: you do that wherever you need him to go. I tell him you're trying to kill him with something."

  "You what?"

  "Truth's always easier than lies, and he thinks he's unstoppable. I go in, I tell him the truth, he'll come roarin' out with his monsters. You get your battle and I don't die."

  Rachel considered it. As plans went, it wasn't the worst she'd heard. She didn't really have any better ideas for luring Jackson out to a particular spot—and Robert couldn't possibly reveal their real plan, since he had no idea what it was. As long as the spot they chose was far enough away from the ritual site, it shouldn't matter. The problem was, she only had one of the special Awakened to spare.

  Natalie glanced over her shoulder, as Rachel had stopped walking. "We gotta keep moving, right?"

  Rachel swallowed hard. It's the only real option, she told herself. It has to be done. She'll be okay. She's way tougher than she looks, and she already looks tough to start.

  "Works for you?" Robert asked.

  Rachel nodded. She didn't dare open her mouth, because she didn't think she could get any words out without choking on them.

  Robert left them as they reached the southern square just before the park. Natalie pulled out some jerky from her bag and held it out to Gwen, who gently gobbled it from her hand.

  "What kind of meat is that?" Rachel asked.

  "It's for dogs. I thought that'd be okay for a wolf. I looked it up online, and Gwen thinks it's okay too."