19.

I never knew Denver would ever be empty. We we all piled into the Impala, Jack gripping my hand like it was a lifeline. The second we crossed the country line my eyes rolled back. Jack and I went limp, the car screeching to a stop. Sam grabbed my head, setting me up, " Talk to me. Harper, come on."

" He's angry." I whispered.

Jack squeezed my hand, breathing heavily, " He knows where here. And he's pissed."

" Republic Plaza." Jack and I said at the same time.

Dean hit his hands on the wheel, " Son of a bitch. Great. What do we even bring?"

" Guns don't work. Knives don't work."

" Only you and Jack." Sam sighed, " What can we do?"

" Get us to the top floor." I said.

" I can do that." Dean said.

He began driving again, Jack and I looking at each other. My brain jumped, and I heard the ringing. " Cas." I whispered.

I was bad at Enochian. Cas did his best to teach Sam and I. I heard him faintly, not understanding him 100%. Jack couldn't hear him. No one could. It was rough to make out. " I can't be there. I'm sorry, but he'll smite me. He'll kill all of you before you're even there. The angels need me, to close hell. Or to at least aid them."

" What do I do?" I thought to myself, " Cas, how do I fix this?"

" I can't tell you what to do. But you and Jack will find the will. Please, just please keep him safe. Please do whatever you can for him. He's the only thing in my existence that is keeping me here. I promised I'd take care of him and I'm failing. But I know you won't fail."

" I won't. I'll keep him safe. Cas, he's my baby brother. I love him. And I love you. I love the boys. Everything will be okay."

" You are a gift to the universe, Harper Barlow."

" I'll make things right, Castiel. I promise."

***

The building had a horrible feeling around it. People sat in the buildings around it, like statues, staring up. They knew who was here. But they were like us. I pulled two hex bags out of my pockets, handing them to the boys, " It's witchcraft, with a little extra angel magic. I've been practicing. Hopefully it prevents Chuck from... God things. Taking your organs. Killing you slowly. The fun stuff."

" The fun stuff." Dean said, slipping the bag in his pocket. 

I got out of the car, and I felt woozy. I felt awful. " The last of your warding is burnt off." Jack said, " I feel it. You're not gonna feel good."

He took my hand, the pain in my stomach subsiding. " Two half arcangels make a whole." I said.

" Don't let go of me." Jack said, not taking his eyes off the building.

It was a long walk, but Jack's hand kept me steady. The glow around him was violent. I knew saw my brother truly angry. I didn't like it. But I was angry too. I didn't know what Lucifer looked like. I never cared enough too. But the look on Jack's face was as close as I think I'd ever want to get.

We barley made it to the first floor until I hit the ground hard. Jack's hand wasn't gripping mine anymore, and I was alone. " Harper. So good to finally meet you. And know you exist. I hate not having someone on my list."

He could have been a school teacher. A coffee shop owner. A writer. He was soft and kind to look at. He was fatherly. Well, he was the father of everything. I stood up, my gun leaving my belt out of instinct. He sighed, and with a flick of his wrist, it was gone. " Hostile. Angry. Very hunter like. Very... like your dad."

" He's not my dad."

" Unfortunately yes." Chuck ran his hand through his hair, " He is. Not a great one. Not a great son either. I loved him. I loved him so much. And I'm sure he loves you and Jack."

" Don't you say my brother's name." I said through my teeth, " You leave him out of this."

" Or what?" He sighed, " You and Jack. Oh you could absolutely kill me. You're violently stronger than your father. Stronger than anything I could have ever created. Both you, wow. You make my sister look like a low tier angel."

" You're a monster," I did my best to get around the room, staying against the wall, " The fact you think you can just throw your toys out when they're boring. That you can ruin the lives of people for FUN. How are you any better than your son? How are you better than Lucifer!"

Chuck's face was hardened, " You have no right. You've seen the faces of demons, of all the nasty things. That's what you look like to everything but angels. To angels, you and your brother are the most beautiful things in existence. Lucifer was too. Nephilim aren't supposed to exist. You throw the balance off."

He was staring at the window, down the skyline, " All those people." I said " Worshiping you out of fear. They're confused. What happened to free will? What happened to letting humans choose!"

" You sound like him." Chuck said, almost sadly, " Just like him. He had the best intentions, but he had to go. He hated humans."

" Because he loved you. He trusted you."

Chuck looked at me in amusement, " Sympathy for your father?"

" Honesty for Lucifer." I said, " I hate him more than I hate you. But oh man, do I hate you."

" I don't blame you for hating me. I get it. But I don't hate you. I don't want to kill you and Jack. I feel bad. You're children."

" I'm 30." I hissed.

" That's infantile in heaven. Jack even more so. But you make angels question me. You make the world confused. Your power is too much for your own good. I'm sorry."

I fully expected him to blast me to bits. But my stomach began to pull, it hurt. I fell on the floor, Chuck frowning at me. " That warding was a mistake on your mother's part. All that power. Coming back at once. I'm not gonna kill you. You're gonna kill yourself. But I need your brother."

I spit at him, the blood leaking from my mouth. " Fuck you."

I heard the footsteps, " Harper?!" Dean yelled.

" Get Jack out!" I screamed, choking at the end.

Chuck shook his head, closing his fist so I shut up. I felt my baby brother on the other side of the door. We were both gonna die, and I couldn't even get Sam and Dean out.

I couldn't even save myself.