Chapter 8

Tom and Monica knocked on the door at Bruce's flat. They heard a lot of movement inside and a lot of cursing, "Fucking hell...it said 45 minutes, I had it in there for 40 and it's fucking burnt to a fucking crisp." Tom looked at Monica and they both started to laugh, "Bless his soul, he's trying so hard." He knocked again, "Paul, open the door." The movement behind the door ceased and they heard feet shuffling towards it. The door cracked open and Bruce poked his head out, surprised to see Tom and Monica, "Is it that time already? Bloody Christ. Could you please give me another hour?" Tom laughed and pushed the door open, "It's alright, I'm sure whatever you have is going to be great." Bruce shut the door and looked away from Monica, his hair was pulled back but several strands had fallen out, his face was covered in flour, his shirt was splattered in it as well. She went up to him and wiped a smudge off his nose, giving him a soft kiss in the process. He smiled at her, "I'm sorry. I had this whole meal planned but I mucked it up. I burnt the dinner rolls, the salmon got stuck to the pan so I chucked it against the wall....the..." Monica put her finger up to his lips, "It's OK Bruce." he chuckled and pulled her into a hug. Tom was opening up the windows and cleaning up the remains of the salmon and sauce that was running down the walls. "Sorry Tom." Bruce said to him, "I'll pay for the damage." He looked at Monica and explained to her, "I rent this flat from Tom. He usually had it for any workers at the bar, but once I moved out from his place he let me have it. He initially didn't want me to pay anything, but I told him I'd move out if he wouldn't let me pay rent." Tom went up to the couple and smiled at them, "Well my boy, what place has the best pizza in town?" They all laughed while Bruce picked up the phone.
——————————————————————————————

After enjoying a lovely dinner of pizza and wine, Tom went back to his flat, telling Bruce to take the next few days off. He closed the door behind him and looked at Monica. "I've been drinking, would you like me to call you a taxi?" he hoped she would say no, but knew he had to offer her the choice. Monica was at the sink cleaning up the dishes, she turned around and looked at Bruce, "Would you mind if I stay over? I am really enjoying spending as much time with you as I can." Bruce walked up to her and wrapped his arms around her waist, "You can stay with me for as long as you want. Just promise me you won't leave me. Please don't leave me...don't..." He buried his face into her neck and hugged her deeply. Monica hugged him back, caressing his hair, realizing that he was getting emotional. She thought back to the story Tom had told her, how he had always wondered what he had done for his parents to abandon him. Even now at 19, he feared being abandoned. "Bruce, I will never leave you. The feelings I am developing for you are growing stronger. I don't ever want you to feel alone again." He pulled his head up and looked at her, his eyes red and wet with tears, "I...I love you." he kissed her softly, pulled away and smiled, "God I love you." Bruce felt as if a weight had been lifted off his chest. He had never uttered those words to anyone except his Grandad and Tom. Now he was saying them to the most beautiful woman in the world, and he meant it. "I love you." he said again, kissing her on the nose, "I love you..I will never stop saying it." Monica felt herself getting emotional, "Bruce, I love you too. You make me happy, you make me laugh, you let me be me. I love you." They stayed by the kitchen sink wrapped up in each others arms, caressing each others face, knowing now how they felt about each other. Bruce looked at Monica and blushed, "Would you sleep in my room tonight, with me? I promise you we don't have to do anything. I would never do anything you wouldn't want to do. I just want to cuddle with you. I want to feel your body next to mine. If you never want to make love to me, I'd be OK with it. I just need you. I need your beautiful body and soul next to me, to help me heal." Now Monica blushed, "Yes Bruce, I'll stay the night. I want to become one with you." She gave him a nervous laugh as he grabbed her hand and very gently led her to his room.