TWENTY FOUR

"We can stop here."

Will looked over at Arya who hadn't said a word for the past couple of hours, her hair was dishevelled and her face was stubbornly faced just a fraction away from Will but enough for him to notice the obvious disdain painted on her face, she clearly had difficulty hiding her emotions.

Only looking for a second Will saw the changes in Arya's face over the year he had known her. She'd grown but was still very short in comparison to Will who stood a full head above her but her face was older and thinner, her once round and curios eyes had hardened and darkened.

Edgar swayed lightly and grinned, "yeah, okay. I'm hungry." He strutted confidently towards the small inn, winking at a young woman outside who immediately blushed and looked at her feet.

Will rolled his eyes and sighed, following his brother in not even sparing a glance to the embarrassed young girl. He felt Arya not far behind him.

They all sat down, Edgar instantly flopping back in his seat and surveying the room whilst Will sat awkwardly and tense, his back straight and senses heightened whilst Arya sat similarly, purposely at least a foot away from him.

They overheard a table nearby discuss Cersei and Arya's head tilted at an angle at which it was clear she was trying to eavesdrop.

A chubby boy who looked about Will's age approached their table with wild frizzy hair. As he reached them his eyes lit up and he exclaimed, "'Arry!". Will shared a confused look with his bother whilst Arya whipped her head around a small smile,  "Hello Hotpie." she said, "take a seat."

The boy looked nervously between the Hart brother before sitting down. Arya looked hungrily at the pies and quickly asked, "Who's that for?" before briskly standing up and grabbing one, stabbing into it and taking a large mouthful.

"That's good." she said grinning, taking another bite. Edgar grinned as well, reaching over and taking a slice himself that he leaned back o enjoy. Will didn't move.

Hotpie acknowledged the boys, "Who are they?" 

Arya looked at them and shrugged, "Travelling companions."

"I'm Edgar." said Will's brother smirking, "and the sour looking guy's my brother, Will." He ent back, taking another bite. "Wow, this is good."

Hotpie smiled shyly, "You think?" he replied proudly, "The secret's browning the butter before makin' the dough."

Arya frowned, "I didn't do that."

Hotpie echoed her confusion, "You've been making pies?"

"One or two."

Will felt his chest constrict as he squirmed uncomfortably in his seat, glancing nervously at the young girl who seemed so content with what she'd done.  

Hotpie chuckled, "I can't believe you're here." he said happily, "What happened to you?"

She halted for a moment, looking a bit sadly in the distance before shaking her head. "Got any ale?" Hotpie gestured to the jug on his tray which he reached forward to grab but Arya had already made a beeline for it, grabbing it before Hotpie could and filling up her cup.

Will wondered where she'd picked up these manners.

He raised his eyebrows before continuing, "Where are you heading."

"King's landing."

"Why are you heading there, thought you'd go to Winterfell."

Will and Arya frowned almost simultaneously, "Why would I go there, the Boltons have it."

Hotpie shook his head, "You haven't heard? The Boltons are dead, your brother Jon Snow rode down from castle Black and won the battle of the Bastards."

Arya's eyes widened, and Will felt his heart skip a beat.  

"You're kidding."

"Why would I lie about that?"

Arya immediately made eye contact with Will and he stared back at her in equal surprise. Silence filled their table as even Edgar didn't know what to say. Arya stood abruptly and Will followed, Edgar scrambling up after the pair.

"Thank you." she said quickly but sincerely towards the boy who smiled in return, swiftly holding his hand out when Arya tried to pay, "friends don't pay." he insisted. She smiled and turned to leave, Will following after her calling for her.

"So..", Hotpie redirected his attention to Edgar who had resumed his goofy grin and was now leaning against the table. He flashed a charming smile, "you know that thing about friends and um pie," he stated, "I feel as though over the last three minutes we've become very good friends and I would really appreciate it.." as he was speaking, Edgar leaned over slowly reaching towards the appetizing pie on the tray. Hotpie quickly whipped it out of reach and frowned at the boy.

"I don't know you."

Edgar scowled, "fucker." he muttered under his breath and shuffled to the entrance of the small inn.

"Arya!"

The stubborn finally stopped moving when Will grabbed her hand. "What?!" she yelled, "I'm going to Winterfell, you are finally rid of me."

"Arya! Shut up and listen."

She stopped and turned towards the fair-haired boy who's voice had cracked at the last word. He inhaled deeply and sighed. "Arya, I had nothing in my life. Poor rich lord with no one but himself. Then I met you and suddenly life was a little more exciting."

"Wherever you go, I go."

Arya nodded slowly and leaned forward.

The two embraced softly and she breathed out gently into his golden hair. 

"Well, well, well."

The two broke apart and Will looked distastefully at his brother who was smirking, "looks like we have a change in plan. We're going to Sansa Stark after all."

"You're coming with us?" Edgar beamed, "Try not to sound too enthusiastic." 

He walked past Will, slapping him on the shoulder hard enough for his younger brother to wince and rub his shoulder." He exchanged a look with Arya in which she shrugged and made her way to some horses next to the inn.

"Wait, Arya-" Will exclaimed, "We can't just .. take these horses."

"How else do you expect to get there?"

Edgar swaggered over, "I like your thinking." and reached for a sturdy brown one who barely struggled against the tall boy's firm grip.

"Besides, I'm not missing out on seeing Sansa."

He hopped onto the horse and Arya followed, Will hesitantly mounting a black horse after his brother and his friend."

"She is the one I killed for anyway."

Will and Arya looked at each other.