TWENTY NINE

News travelled quickly about the return of Jon Snow but perhaps more notably, Daenerys Targaryen. 

Will had heard about the dragon queen years previously. Whispers about the young Targaryen girl who had managed to acquire an army, lands and most impressively, 3 fully grown dragons had never been too far from Will's ears. Although, admittedly, Will was slightly reluctant to believe it.

However, there were certainty no denying it as two huge dragons emerged from the sky, shocking just about everyone in Winterfell and almost making Will stumble to the snowy ground. 

He waited with Arya amongst the crowd of excited people, a short stretch from the castle. She had wanted to watch the procession in full swing.

Will watched her curiously as her big eyes filled with awe.

She watched Daenerys Targaryen ride with who Will supposed was Jon Snow across the snowy ground. It was undeniable, Daenerys was a beautiful young woman with silver hair and pale skin and Jon Snow was handsome, draped in a heavy cloak.

Judging from the unreadable looks they would often send each other, Will suspected that there was something between them. 

He glanced back to Arya who had shifted her gaze from her brother to a very large and intimidating man who rode not too far behind, glaring at the crowd. Half of his face looked scarred and badly deformed which told Will exactly who he was, the Hound. Arya had told Will all about her adventures with him and to be honest, from what he heard, the man didn't seem to be as terrible as stories made him out to be. Naturally, he could probably rip Will in half but he didn't mistreat Arya and telling Joffrey to 'fuck off' definitely earned him some points. 

The procession soon ended, flagged by thousands of unsullied who marched in an organised fashion, apparently immune to the cold of the north. Will shivered in his cloak. He wasn't a Northern boy and it was plain to see; fair hair, blue eyes and pale skin, pricked with patches of red from the cold.

But there was nowhere he'd rather be.

Arya nudged him in the arm and his icy eyes shot to her softer ones. 

"I'm going." She announced, "To see my brother."

"Okay." Will said softly and she shot him a short mischievous smile and disappeared into the waning crowd.

Not having anything else to particularly do, Will turned around and waded through the crowd towards the castle. Due to Arya's status in the castle, he was allowed through the gates and walked soundlessly on the snowy grounds. Jon Snow and Daenerys weren't in sight and neither was Sansa, only Brandon Stark remained.

Will swallowed uncomfortably as he made eye contact with the boy.

Brandon, on the other hand didn't look the slightest bit bothered,

"Your father will be here soon." The lord said finally, sitting calmly as ever in his wheelchair.

Will almost lost his footing and reeled at the words, his head spinning. His father? His father was dead, long dead. Then another man crept into his head. Jaime Lannister, but surely...

Will turned back to Brandon who was still unmoving and impassive, "How do you know who my father is?" he managed to choke out but he already knew he wasn't going to get a straight answer. Brandon Stark just knew things, that's what Sansa had told him and his brother and he never pried. In a world with whitewalkers and dragons, he supposed someone who could see everything wasn't massively outrageous.

The thought of the kingslayer being his father still made him sick to his stomach. Edgar was lots of things but a liar was never one of them, besides the uncanny resemblance was more prevelant than ever before.

Brandon Stark didn't answer him and Will, still delirious, stumbled away.

As soon as he reached his room, he threw up.

***

What followed throughout the next days in Winterfell was a series of tense meetings.

It was apparent to Will that no one wanted Daenerys Targaryen here and the tension between her and Sansa was thick enough to cut with a knife. 

Not that anyone would ever ask, in Will's opinion, her presence was necessary. The white walkers were a terrible threat and if the North ever needed reinforcements, it was now. An army of unsullied and two dragons made the odds for the living much better.

Except, Arya did ask.

They sat in Arya's bed, a yellow candle casting winding shadows across both their faces. Arya twisted Needle in her hands as Will examined the Valyrian steel dagger in awe, turning it over for the hundreth time.

"We do need her." agreed Arya nodding.

"I hope the North doesn't implode before the White Walkers even get here." muttered Will almost sarcastically and the dark haired girl frowned,

"Sansa may not like her but she's smart, she knows just as well as we do that if we want to win, we have to use the army she's given us."

"What do you think will happen afterwards?"

Arya shrugged and finally sheathed Needle, "I suppose Daenerys will rule on the Iron Throne and maybe she'll allow the North to elect-"

"I meant with you." interrupted Will softly, his eyes meeting hers.

She stopped fiddling and bit her lip, "I-" she cut off abruptly, carefully mulling words over in her head, "I don't want to be apart from you Will." She admitted finally and the blonde boy felt a pang in his chest as the words came out.

"Me neither." He said, his voice barely above a whisper.

There was a brief moment of silence before he dropped the dagger and held his arms out, pulling Arya into his embrace. She relaxed into him and he put his cheek to the top of her head, affectionately stroking her hair with his hand.

Arya's eyes fluttered shut as she allowed herself to savour the moment.

I love you Hart

She traced in onto his arm a few times over and she wasn't sure the boy noticed.

Eventually Will left and returned to the courtyard hoping for some alone time in the cold yet fresh air. His boots cracked across the freshly laid snow and his breath came out in puffs of silvery clouds.

However, his calm demeanour was instantly changed seeing Brandon Stark in his wheelchair, looking like he hadn't moved an inch since earlier. He was about the turn the other way and go to his room but he stopped as soon as he heard the familiar harsh pounding against the snow.

A horse.

Will followed Brandon's gaze to the castle entrance and he jumped as a horse suddenly galloped through, stopping abruptly as per their rider's command.

The rider slid gracefully off the horse. The figure was tall, well built and obviously athletic, a sword strapped to their side. The rider moved to unveil his hidden face.

Will was a good deal away from him but there was no mistaking the rider no matter the distance. Will felt his breath hitch in his throat as he recognised the man instantly.

Jaime Lannister.

They locked eyes.