Eight

Chapter Eight:

"It's a lot more terrifying than I remember." Theodora was the first to speak. They had been silent the rest of the car ride, and even more so when they entered the building. "You sure you still want to see him?"

They were waiting for someone to bring them to where his father was, and they had been leaning against the far wall for over twenty minutes.

"What are you going to say to him?"

"I'm here for investigation purposes." He said, "I'll keep it short. If he doesn't give me the answers I want than I'll leave."

"He'll talk."

Malcolm raised an eyebrow, "How do you know?"

"Because he hasn't seen you in ten years. Or anybody, probably. You were the connection he had to the outside world, and if you walk out again there could be a chance you never come back. He doesn't want that."

"Why?"

She looked at him, "Because you're his son. And no matter what he's done or how much you hate him, he still loves you. In his own way, at least. Because any normal dad wouldn't of gone out a killed a bunch of people."

Malcolm glared at her, shaking his head. "Thanks, Theo. For that. It was inspiring."

"Anytime."

He rolled his eyes, adverting his attention to a man who slowly approached them.

"All precautions are up. We're ready for your visit."

Theodora leaned towards her friend, "That doesn't sound good."

They followed the man nonetheless, and after passing through many rooms they came to a stop in front of a large metal door, watching them unlock a series of locks before jamming a key into the door.

"They really don't want him to escape." She muttered, earning a whack on the arm from Malcolm.

"Wait." He said, grabbing her by the shoulders and moving her out of sight. "You stay there unless I say otherwise."

She wanted to say something back, but she knew how hard this was for him so she kept quiet and nodded. "Have fun."

The door opened with an eerie hissing noise, and then Malcolm walked in. The door about to close, forced by the worker was propped open just an inch by Malcolm shoving the end of his trench coat in it. She smiled, he knew she wanted to hear what was going on, to hear if she needed to step in.

"Malcolm." A new voice said, "My boy."

"Dr. Whitly."

"God, I can't believe it. Ten years."

There was a pause, "Nice cell. Who paid for it?"

"Oh! You'd be amazed at what our Saudi friends will pay a disgraced cardiothoracic surgeon." A sigh, "Your eyes. You look exhausted."

"That's what I've been saying." She mumbled shaking her head, moving closer to the door.

"And yet you look like a daisy. Funny how that works."

"Well, I'm a vegan now. And I haven't seen your mother in 20 years."

"Amen." She huffed.

Another pause, "Is there somebody with you, Malcolm?"

"No."

"Are you sure? I'd certainly like to meet them, considering it sounds like they dislike your mother as much as I do."

Theodora nodded slowly, of course she would blow it. In the worst way possible.

"It's not like I don't like her." She said, squeezing through the doorway. "It's just quite tiring always speaking in such a way that's redundant. Perhaps speak like a normal person."