Thirty Eight

Chapter Thirty Eight:

"What the hell happened to you?"

Theodora huffed walking into the boardroom, JT and Dani both sat on the far side of the table while she flopped herself down in an empty chair on the other side. "Nothing."

"It wasn't nothing." Malcolm shook his head, "Someone followed her down a dark street and—"

"I am fine." She nodded, "It's all good."

"No it's not." Dani shook her head, "This needs to be investigated, we'll treat this like a normal case for anyone else."

"Then let's get this over with fast then, I was by the hospital when a figure came at me in the dark. Didn't see the face, couldn't tell height or any information really at all except they were wearing a silver bracelet of some sort."

The door opened once again, and Gil came rushing in with a glare on his face. "Rodger will be ok despite whatever Bright tells you—" His eyes landed on Theodora, "What the hell happened to you?"

She rolled her eyes, leaning back in her chair. "It doesn't matter! Can we just talk about the murder case, please."

Gil pursed his lips, but nodded. "That's why we're here, right?"

Nobody made a noise, each earning a firm look from him. JT sighed, "19th precinct is investigating the hit and run. No seen plates on the vehicle, checking traffic and security cams could take awhile."

"Tatiana and Axel got into it a few weeks ago, Rodger got a play by play." Dani grabbed a remote and clicked towards a TV that had been pulled into the room. Pictures of the couple appeared, Axel being extremely hostile.

"That's no way to treat a lady." JT huffed.

"Yeah, that could be pretty damning for Axel."

Gil shook his head, tapping the picture of Tatiana in the blue bath. "What about this? Aren't we looking for a stalker who knew how important the blue bath campaign was to Tatiana? To Axel?"

"Made him, too." JT mumbled.

Malcolm sat up, eyes wide. "You're right."

"I am?"

"They're obsessed with Axel." His brows knitted together, "That's why we've been stuck for leads. This isn't Tatiana's stalker."

"It's Axel's?"

"Yes." Theodora joined in, connecting the dots. "Killing the ex who broke his heart. Running down the photographer who knew to much. This killer is trying to please Axel."

"Makes sense." Gil said.

"It does?" Dani raised a brow. The man nodded, "Jackie and I used to have a cat that would leave dead mice on our door step every morning like she was giving us gifts."

Malcolm clicked his tongue, "Yes, the perfect metaphor."

"And one creepy ass cat."

"The killer wants credit." Theodora nodded, "Like Gil's cat. These murders are gifts!"

Malcolm stared at her, "That's why the blue bath scared Axel."

"He knows who the killer is." She met his gaze, "He's known all this time."

Dani watched between them, "How can you be sure?"

Malcolm blinked slowly, turning his attention to the black TV screen. "Family always know."

"It's someone from his entourage." Theodora added, "Could be all of them, who knows. But the killer is with him."

JT was leaning back, scrolling through his phone. "We got a problem. Axel's having a launch party for his new line tonight and then hops on a plane for Europe. Probably with his whole crew."

Malcolm was already up, "Then let's go to the party."

"Hold on, Bright. We can't just go in there and flash badges, they don't have to answer our questions. We have to have a warrant."

"There isn't enough time." She chimed in, earning a shake of his head. He sighed, "Especially you, Fletcher. You look like you just got jumped, which you did."

"What if the person who jumped me was Axel's stalker? The hit and run had happened just before and there was a black car parked further up the street, I ran by it on my way to Malcolm's."

Malcolm nodded, "I just need five minutes with Axel, alone. Stalker psychology causes compulsive behaviour, hard to resist and nearly impossible to hide. I can do this."

Gil wasn't budging, "Bright. We are cops, we do it the right way or we don't do it at all. Nobody goes near that event. Especially you."

"But—" she stood up, getting a finger in her face from Gil. "I want you home and getting rest. Put ice on the bruises, it will help with the pain."

They watched him walk out, then Malcolm stood up and grabbed her hand. "Let's get you home."

JT retched, "Ew, they're holding hands now."

Theodora remained silent as Malcolm lead her through the precinct, all the way to the parking garage where his car was parked. They got in, and she clicked the radio off as he backed up out of the spot.

"We're not going to my apartment right?"

"Yeah."

She frowned, "I thought we're going to the launch party."

"I am. You are going home and following Gil's advice. You need rest."

She glared, "Don't even get me started with the idea of 'rest' Malcolm Whitly! I am going with you weather you like it or not."

"You were just attacked!"

"I wasn't attacked." She rolled her eyes, "You do it with me or not at all."

He raised a brow at her, she rolled her eyes again. "Not like that, dipshit."

"Strong language. Wow."

Theodora sighed, "We're definitely getting fired, Mal."

He shrugged, flashing her a tired smile. "Honestly, I'm surprised we've lasted this long."

•••

Hello!

Sorry for the slower updates, a bunch of stuff happened with school and my anxiety sooooooo, also working two jobs pretty much every night/weekends before Christmas isn't fun. School's done for two weeks so it should be back to almost every night of updates.

Anyways, thank you so much for reading! I hope you're having a good life.

Byeee!