Thirty Nine

Chapter Thirty Nine:

Music poured out from an old factory, cars lining the streets. Malcolm parked quickly and threw open the doors, "Do I need to go over the plans?"

Theodora shook her head, "No. I remember."

She was to go the other side of the building, by a fire escape where he would lead Axel out, and with him the killer. He wanted her out of sight, to make sure if anything went wrong she was there to step in. They even stopped at her apartment on the way over, that way Theodora could collect her father's old gun. She kept it locked up and safely away in a closet she never used. With it was all of her father's other stuff she couldn't bear to throw away. She wasn't expecting to rummage through it as soon as she did, for the reasons she did.

They were walking up to the main entrance, "You have everything?"

"Yes." She pursed her lips, "But it's not like I'm gonna use it. Oh, wait a second." Theodora shrugged his coat off, handing it to him. "I should've taken it off in the car but here you go."

Malcolm stared at it, than tossed it aside. Theodora glared at him, "I wish I had that much money to be doing shit like that."

He rolled her eyes, "Go."

She did, turning and making her way beside the building. A white tarp acted as a makeshift ceiling, with crates and other things scattered along the building. Glass lined walls covered the other side, with one open exit which she had just entered through. The stairs Malcolm had talked about were a littler farther back, so she found a few large crates and wedged herself between them. She could see most of the area in front of her through a gap between brackets. She slipped the gun from her pocket, which she was aware was not a good place for it but was improvising. Theodora held it tightly in her hands, staring down at it.

Fletcher had been engraved in the handle, she remembered when her dad arrived home one day ecstatic. "Nobody can steal it anymore. My name's engraved in it! Adam ain't gonna be happy." He had told her, a goofy smile on his face.

Theodora sighed, focusing her attention back out between crates, waiting. She wondered where Malcolm was inside, if he had tracked down Axel or was still looking for him. Or if the plan had gone horribly wrong and one of his entourage had found him instead.

A door opened, and her attention flew to the metal door atop of the stairway. But instead of Malcolm or Axel trampling down the steps it was Joey, Axel's security guard.

Theodora's eyes widened as she ducked down, the top crate wiggled a bit and she held her breath. It was windy, that could've been the wind and not her.

"He's with Axel." A voice called out, "And I watched you walk in here minutes ago."

Theodora remained silent, holding her breath. "Get out from behind those. Don't embarrass yourself."

She sighed, dragging herself out. She tucked the gun back into her large front pocket, watching the other man across from her. He had a gun pointing at her as he laughed, "I don't know why you two bother."

Theodora shrugged, "We get bored."

He motioned towards him, "Walk closer."

"I'd rather not. Thanks, though. For the offer... I mean."

He huffed rushing forward, Theodora jumped back away from his grasp but he grabbed ahold of her hair and yanked her into him. A hand wrapped around her neck, a coldness pressed against her head.

"You're both cocky."

"Yes, well, we do spend a lot of time together."

He threw her around as he rushed them off towards the building, down steps that she hadn't seen. A door opened again, this time two sets of footsteps came down the steps. Theodora heard Malcolm's voice first, "You know they were dangerous, but you didn't realize how far they'd go. Then you saw the blue bath and you knew. Who is it?"