Forty Nine

Chapter Forty Nine:

"JT!" Theodora leaped out, rushing after him, holding back a fit of laughter. "Today has not been your day, huh?"

He stopped, glancing at her. "I... I— why? Like, c'mon. When did this... why?"

"You're gonna be ok." She laughed, "Take deep breaths. It's all good."

The man still looked spooked when he walked away, this time Theodora did not follow. "That's not the best." Malcolm muttered.

Theodora snorted, turning to face him. "You're gonna have to keep your hands to yourself, Mal."

He frowned, "Is this a must?"

With a roll of her eyes she spun on her heel and trailed behind him. "We're gonna get fired if you keep doing this."

"Doing what? I've done nothing in this situation to result in a firing."

Theodora snorted, "We've just scarred a man."

"I think he'll live."

Malcolm rolled his eyes, "After he tells everyone about it. Make everything awkward."

She laughed, "You already do that pretty good on your own. This situation wasn't needed to let everyone know that."

He sighed, grabbing a hold of her hand and spinning her around to face him. "What were you and Hugo talking about?"

"It was nothing."

"I heard mention of your mother."

Her nose scrunched, "It's not important. Useless information, really. I'd rather not talk about it, don't wanna get upset."

Malcolm stared at her, knowing fully well she was lying. "I feel like you're not telling me things, Theo."

"I could say the same about you, Mal."

His stare turned to a glare and he dropped her hand, "Wow, okay. I see how it is."

Theodora laughed, "Great unhealthy relationship chirp."

"Only the best for you."

With an eye roll she turned and continued after  JT. She found him in the conference room with both Dani and Gil. Dani was holding back a laugh as they entered, "You two, really?"

"You guys weren't together, before?" Gil raised a brow at Malcolm, "Since when are you old enough to date?"

"Ha, Ha." Malcolm huffed sitting down, "Can we just go back to the case, please."

"Yes. And no more touching in my elevators."

Theodora snorted, "What a phrase."

Dani's face fell back into her normal expression, her eyes fell to Gil who stood at the edge of the long table by a white bored. Theodora pursed her lips, her conversation with Hugo floating back into her head. 

"Gil, do you remember a case that emerged just after the Surgeon was caught?"

The room fell silent, she could see the sudden tension radiating off of Malcolm at the mention of his father and the intensifying glare Gil was sending her way.

"What brought this up?"

"Research." She shrugged, hoping Gil wouldn't catch on to what she had found. Edrisa wasn't supposed to tell anyone, and Hugo definitely wasn't supposed to show her almost everything in her mother's case— or, not her mother's case. It was Anne Dawson's case. Annie. "The killer was trying to be a copycat, but he kept souvenirs. By that I mean body parts, all that fun stuff."

"What case is this?" Malcolm questioned.

"Where did you hear about this?" Gil asked, "It was never in the media."

Theodora opened her mouth to reply when her phone went off, she jumped in her seat as she pried it from her pocket. It was an unknown number, rolling her eyes she stood up. "I should take this."

When she got outside Theodora clicked answer and pressed the phone against her ear. "Hello?"

"Theodora Jay!" Malcolm's father's voice beamed from the other end, "It's been awhile, hasn't it?"

Her brows knitted together, "How did you get this number?"

"You sound more like Malcolm everyday." He sighed, "How is my son doing? He refuses to answer my calls."

"He does that because you've been ruining his life since you decided to start killing people."

"Ah, I missed your dry humour."

Theodora rolled her eyes, "I'm hanging up."

And she did, slipping her phone back into her pocket. Theodora didn't have time for that man, she had more important things to tackle.
Her phone buzzed again, this time a text from Malcolm.

Malcolm
Don't come back up. JT's ranting about the elevator incident.

She snorted, Aren't we supposed to be working a murder case?

A reply came fairly quick,

Malcolm
So I thought. Save yourself.

Her screen went black as she gripped the device, gazing around the street. She was curious as to what Hugo was doing, or what else he could've told her. Theodora pursed her lips as she went to turn around, to go back inside when a figure caught her eye. A man stood across the street, peeking around a corner. He appeared to be staring right at her, she blinked slowly meeting his gaze. His face was concealed by shadow, but she could make out the grim smile on his face as he turned and disappeared.

"What?" She mumbled, shaking her head. Theodora huffed, making her way back into the building. Instead of taking the elevator she sprinted up the stairs, out of breath as she stumbled into the lab. Hugo was leaning against a counter, scrolling through his phone. He jumped, dropping his phone on the floor.

"Shit!" He yelped, when he noticed who had walked in, his eyes widened. "Oh, hey— Theodora."

"Hey."

Instead of getting his phone he rushed towards her, "Are you alright? You look a little startled."

"Me?" She pushed the image of the man watching her away, "You just dropped your phone and your eyes are as wide as saucers."

"That's true." A smile formed on his face, "My bad."

Theodora looked around, "Can you tell me anything else about that case?"

"I thought you'd be back."

She walked by him, towards the smaller office. "You were right. And I want to hear everything."

•••

AND WE'RE BACK!!!!!

I disappeared for awhile, lol, my bad. For those who were sticking around, thank you for doing so. This chapter is all over the place but the next ones should be better. I've been distracted the last few months and was gonna update a few days ago but CALM by 5sos dropped and I procrastinated again.

Anyways, that was a lot of useless info. THANKS FOR READING I APPRECIATE IT!!!