S5 E6 - Girl Meets Forsaken

"I'm scared of no roller coaster ride" I laugh at dad's sentence. He's back for the weekend and we decided to go to a theme park today. Since his last visit we've been pretty close. We always hang out whenever we can and now I automatically call him dad again.
"Please, you were up there screaming so loud I thought I was sitting next to Patti LaBelle" I turn around when I hear a child's giggle and look at how happy the girl is as her father is giving her a piggy back ride.
"You see, Maya, the day you were born was the happiest day of my life. The first time I held you I didn't think I'd ever put you down" I bite my lower lip
"So why did you?"
"I just wasn't ready to be a father. I started feeling trapped. Well, one day I just panicked and ran. It was selfish and cowardly but that's what I did. I'm sorry."
"Why are you telling me this now?"
"Because you're my daughter and I love you. And I'm a different man now. I'm ready to be part of your life, if you'll let me"
"You already are a part of my life. I forgave you, remember?"
"Okay, but I wanna bond more"
"How?"
"Well, for one, we can get to know one another.
And did you know your old man was a pretty good artist?
"Really?"
"Yeah, I even got a scholarship thanks to my painting skills" I raise my eyebrows. This can't be possible
"You don't believe me?" I shake my head in amusement
"I didn't say anything"
"No, I see you don't believe me" he looks around and sees a man next to a canvas. He stands up and exchanges a few words with him before picking a brush
"Hey, come here. Come here. I'll show you"
"I didn't say anything" I repeat
"No, you didn't have to say nothing" he starts painting. He was right, he's pretty good at it.
"He's really good" I hear the same child who giggled before say and I turn to face her with a smile
"He's my dad"

*Hours later, Matthews apartment*

"We're back!" I shout as soon as we come in
"Did you have a good time?" Mom asks with a smile
"We rode every roller coaster in the park"
"Yeah, almost threw up like three times" I add
"That's my girl"
"I'm glad you two got to spend some time together" My smile only grows wider
"We're just getting started, right, Daddy?"
"Yep" Mr. Matthews frowns
"What do you mean?"
"My dad has to hit the road tomorrow. And I'm gonna go with him. Why should I spend my spring break wasting time at the Peacock when I can hit the road with my dad?"
"It's a great way for Maya to see the country"
"Forget it" I can't believe what he just said. Who does he think he is? Everyone looks at him in shock, including Shawn and mom.
"Come on, Cory. The kid could use a little adventure" he stands up to face him.
"Excuse me, but this is a family discussion"
"Hey, Matthews-" dad just smiles at me before stopping me
"Hey, hey, hey. It's okay. It's okay. I'll wait outside" He gives me a quick hug before leaving
"Matthews, that is not cool, the way you dissing my father like that"
"The hell with your father!"
"Cory, what's wrong?" his wife asks him
"He waltzes in here after twelve years-"
"Eleven" I correct
"Excuse me, eleven years" he replies sarcastically
"And acts like nothing has happened. Wake up, Maya, this is the same guy who didn't think enough of you to pick up the phone" I look into his eyes. Why is he so angry?
"He made a mistake. I'm sorry that everybody can't be as perfect as you, Matthews. But if I can forgive him, how come you can't?"
"Because he's not doing it for you. He's doing this for himself. If you think any differently, then you're a fool!" Shawn steps between the two of us. He must've noticed how upset I am right now.
"Hey, just cool it, just cool down. We can talk about this another time"
"You know what, Shawn? There's nothing to talk about. I've been waiting for this for a long time, my whole life and nobody is gonna stop me. Come tomorrow, I'm out of here"
"I don't think so"
"Who cares what you think?! You are not my father!" everybody stares at us in pure shock. I can tell my words really hurt him but I cannot back up now. He has to understand that his words hurt me and my dad as well. I slowly walk out and slam the door behind me.

*The next morning, Elliot's POV*

I still can't believe what dad said to Kermit and Maya last night. I've never seen him like that. What happened to him?
"Here comes Mr. Sunshine" Auggie says with sarcasm when dad walks in the kitchen and sits at the table
"Not today, Auggie"
"Cory, stop moping. You know Maya didn't mean what she said"
"Well, why'd she say it? For years, I treated that girl like my own daughter. Whether she needed a pat on the head or a kick in the pants, I was there for her. I worked my ass off trying to keep her in line"
"And yet, it's come back with a vengeance" Riley whispers to me but I decide to ignore her.
"I have done everything for Maya. Suddenly, it's like none of that matters. I can't believe she could be so selfish"
"Cory, listen to yourself. Somebody's being selfish all right, but it isn't Maya"