S5 E9 - Girl Meets Senior Year

"First day as a senior, Maya!" I roll my eyes playfully at my best friend as we're sitting down on her bay window.
"First day of senior year" I repeat after her
"Are you gonna put some freshmen in the hole?"
"I refuse to" I reply to my boyfriend. I don't wanna make a group of friends go through what we had. It's just wrong.
"You're kidding, right? Maya, we promised those seniors to continue their legacy"
"Riley, do you really want to make a group of friends go through a crisis? They've just started high school. It's already hard enough for them..."
"We gotta make sure they stick together" I sigh in defeat
"Okay" I turn my head to Elliot
"Excited for your second year in college?"
"Kill me"
"I'll take that as a no" I chuckle and stand up to give him a hug but quickly stop when I feel pain in my lower back and groan is pain. He rushes to my side and helps me stay balanced
"Maya, hey. You okay, baby?"
"Yeah, yeah. Just a little pain from...you know. I still have them from time to time. Nothing serious"
"Peaches, did you do your morning exercises?"
"Riles, my full mobility is back"
"It might be back but those exercises are specifically made for your lower back and you need them so that this doesn't happen anymore"
"My sister is right. You should do them" I can't argue with them. I know I can't. And even if I was right, they're Matthews. They are super stubborn.
"Okay, I will"
"Good" I eventually straighten up. I hate this situation. I can't believe I'm still being affected by one tiny bullet. It isn't fair.
"Are you feeling better?"
"Why would she need to feel better?" I smile widely when I see Josh and Auggie walk in the room
"Uncle Boing, Auggie" I'm still amazed by how much that kid grew up this summer. He's almost as tall as me right now and I'm so envious of his growth sprout. I've been stuck in this tiny body forever and it wouldn't hurt if I grew a couple of inches. I am honestly tired of being called a midget.
"Maya, I told you that I don't wanna be called Auggie anymore. I'm August"
"Yeah, forget about it. I am never calling you August. It doesn't matter how much of a grownup you are. You'll always be Auggie to me"
"So, why would you need to feel better?"
"Oh, nothing"
"She didn't do her stretching routine and she felt a little bit of pain earlier when she was trying to stand up"
"Maya..." Josh says warningly and I can't help but groan. This family will be the death of me
"I know, I know. I just got the lecture. I don't need a second one"
"Good. Anyways, I'm gonna drive this guy right here to middle school. See you at school?"
"Of course, uncle"
"Don't you even dare to call me that. I'm only a year older than you"
"Still old" his oldest nephew says playfully
"Shut up!" Josh replies before leaving with Auggie.
"Man am I glad he left"
"Elliot, you're talking about our uncle"
"He tried to steal Maya from me and to me he's still trying to do that. I don't like competition" I snicker in disbelief. He can be so stupid sometimes.
"Competition? Elliot, Josh and I agreed on staying friends and he is not flirting with me" I step closer to him and wrap my arms around his neck.
"And even if he was flirting I wouldn't care because you're the only one I want. Okay? You have absolutely no competition" he scoffs and I tilt my head. Man this boy is very jealous.
"Tell that to Lucas Friar. I saw the way he looked at you when he first came back"
"I got shot and was in a hospital bed. I almost died. How else was he supposed to look at me?"
"You got me there. But I'm still glad he left"
"Hey! That's not nice! He was your friend!"
"He still is. I just don't like the way he behaves around you" Okay, there's no way he's gonna put his jealousy aside, am I right?
"He was around you all the time and being clingy and stuff. He kept talking to you and don't even think I didn't notice you talking to him"
"What was I supposed to do? Ignore one of my closest friends?" I smile at the memory of him when I told him that mom was from Arkansas. He was so shocked and called me out on me making fun of his Texan heritage when I had a southern heritage as well.
"She got you there too"
"Shut up, Riley"
"Listen, I love only you. No one else, okay? Now go to school"
"Okay, Maya" I give him a quick peck on the lips and squeeze his butt with a smirk.
"I am still here! Why do you do that with him?" I turn to my best friend with a frown.
"You want me to do that with you instead?" She stares at us with a shocked expression before grabbing her bag pack
"I'll wait for you in the car and pray the Lord I don't drop your body in the middle of the road" I put my hands up in surrender
"Yes ma'am"