S5 E15 - Girl Meets The End

"There you go, sweetie"
"Thanks" I take the drink from my husband and give him a quick kiss on the lips as he sits down next to me. Twelve years have passed since college and a lot of things have changed.
Let's start with the fact that James and I broke up after two years and a half.

"Maya, please-!"
"James, I can't!"
"Not even for a single week?!"
"No! I told you that I'd come back whenever I could, and right now I can't. It's finals season. I can't just drop everything out to come and hang with everyone in New York because you said so!"
"No, Maya, you just don't want to, okay?" He runs his hands through his hair in exasperation and slowly walks up to me
"Because I'm sure if you talked to one of you professors and explained the situation then-"
"This is not an American college, things work differently! We are in France, Paris. I attend the Paris College of Arts. I worked so hard to get here and I can't put everything on risk" I sigh heavily. I can't wait until this week is over so that he finally leaves.
"And don't you dare to say that I don't want to go back to New York ever again! You know how much I miss everyone there! Don't you think I wanna see my friends and family? For fuck's sake I'm loosing my sibling's childhood! I can't watch them grow up like I always wanted. I can't teach them what life taught me! And do you really think I don't wanna see you?! We've been together for over a year. Don't you think I would've broken up with you by now if I didn't care about you?!"
"I can't be the only one in this relationship who keeps travelling abroad constantly!"
"I've never asked you to come here in the first place!"
"Great then! I'm leaving!"
"James, wait..." He angrily grabs his luggage and starts walking out of my rented apartment.
"It's late at night and you don't know French"
"I don't care. I can't be here, with you" Slam.

We kept having constant fights about me not going back more frequently for months and months until one day he proposed to me out of nowhere. I said yes because I thought I was in love but that changed when I got accidentally pregnant in the middle of my sophomore year. While James was head over heels about it I was terrified of forming a family with him. I still wasn't done with my studies and didn't have a job so I did the best thing I could've ever done: I aborted the baby. It was still the beginning of the pregnancy so I didn't feel a deep emotional connection with the fetus, which made the process a whole lot easier, at least for me. My fiance didn't agree with my idea and tried to persuade me into having the baby. That's when I knew our relationship was becoming more toxic each day that passed. After I aborted he still wanted to make sure I was okay but I knew that we were bound to break up eventually, so I called it quits.

"Hey, do you need something?"
"No, thanks, I'm good"
"Are you sure? I have some water if you'd like"
"Thank you, James, but I'm fine" He notices how cold my tone is and sits next to me on the couch instead of leaving me alone.
"Hey, I know this was hard for you to do, I mean, it's hard for me too but-"
"It's not that. I mean, don't get me wrong, it wasn't an easy decision to make, but that's not what I'm really thinking about right now"
"Then what is it?"
"I wanna break up" His face goes blank. I can't understand what he's feeling. Rage? Sadness? Why is he laughing now?
"Okay, you got me there"
"I'm not joking. I don't wanna be in a relationship with you anymore"
"Okay, you're being delusional. The doctor said it could happen-"
"James, I don't love you like I once used to, okay? I'm not being delusional and I'm not doing this because of what I'm going through right now. This relationship is just toxic and you can't deny it. We fight and then we get engaged out of nowhere" I take off my ring and give it to him.
"I think you should leave, now"
"Yeah, yeah. My flight is in four hours anyways...goodbye, Maya"
"Bye, James"

That was a rough year for me because I lost someone I deeply cared about even though we fought, a lot. But by summer break I was back to my normal-self. I recovered and booked a flight back to New York and finally saw my family.