Part 6: Erica Makes An Entrance

"I'm going to give everyone a job so the interrogations go smoothly. Binta, you already know your job... you're making sure no one leaves the party. Olivia and Radar, you're going to be looking for clues," Jesse began. Radar saluted to her, then dropped his hand back to his side.

"Don't worry Jesse, I won't let you down!" Radar vowed. Jesse smiled at him.

"See if you can find anything that looks suspicious around the party. Stella and Lukas, you'll be making sure everyone is calm and no one suspects that we're interrogating them," Jesse added. Stella touched a hand to her chest and grinned at Jesse.

"I happen to be an excellent actor, and I'm amazing with people," Stella told her.

"Yeah, you're totally pleasant and no one is annoyed by you at all," Petra sarcastically agreed. Stella's lips created a smug smirk and she nodded.

"Exactly," Stella replied, completely blind to Petra's sarcasm. Petra slapped a palm to her forehead.

"Okay, moving on. Axel and Petra will be bringing people over for interrogations, but they have to do it somewhat slowly. That'll give me some time to write down important information," Jesse stated.

"What about me?" Romeo asked, trying not to sound too desperate for a task of his own. However, his strong desire to feel like someone worthwhile made him sound like he was begging for an assignment.

"You're going to be my co-interrogator. You're pretty good at getting information out of people and it'll save time if we split some of the interrogations. We'll start interrogations after I talk to Lukas about something," Jesse told him.

The group turned to the rest of the guests and what Romeo saw made his eyes widen.

He definitely wasn't expecting Erica- a girl he'd met the previous day in Beacontown who seemed to be very antisocial, strange, and secretive- to walk into the party with an awkward smile on her face.

Erica had long black hair, green eyes, and a rose scent that likely came from perfume. She wore black rectangular glasses, pink lipstick, blue jeans, black converse, and a white t-shirt with circular black glasses and a yellow lightning bolt printed on it.

Erica tripped on an uneven patch of grass, took a nasty fall on the patio concrete, and knocked Lillian down like a domino.

Lillian shoved Erica away from her body, stood up, and dusted herself off.

"There's a thing called 'watch where you're going'. Have you tried it?" Lillian snapped.

"I'm really sorry," Erica apologized. Her apology sounded sincere, but the hints of anger in Erica's expression revealed that she wanted to punch Lillian.

Erica stood up with support from her hand. She had acquired some scrapes and bruises on her legs from the fall.

"Are you all right?" Romeo asked.

Romeo didn't trust Erica or even see her as a pleasant person, but to him making sure someone wasn't gravely injured was a courtesy, like saying "bless you" when someone sneezes. (As to why everyone says "bless you" when someone sneezes, Romeo didn't know. It was like people had to be blessed because sneezes were evil or something.)

Asking if someone was okay was also one out of many kind and heroic things a person could do, which Romeo had really been trying to do more of. He wanted to make constant progress towards becoming a better person.

"Could be better, but yeah," Erica replied.

"Do you have a YouTube channel?" Romeo questioned.

If she did, it would explain a lot. Erica liked to travel by ender pearl- which was odd because hardly anyone did- and she said something about working on a "project." Maybe her "project" was being Hit the Target's accomplice.