Part 13: Jesse's Bad Habit of Walking in on Private Conversations

"You have to interrogate Joel. He's the last suspect and he might be the accomplice. If the accomplice gets away you're going to let everyone down," Jesse thought. She adjusted her hairclip to keep her hair from falling in her face and stared off into the distance.

"Jesse, are you alright? You seem kind of nervous," Lukas pointed out.

"Nervous? Me? No way," Jesse lied. Lukas shook his head.

"Jesse, I've known you for six years so I'm pretty sure I know what you look like when you're nervous. I'm here to help, but whether you decide to tell me why you're nervous or not is up to you," Lukas responded. Everything was silent for a moment, then Jesse let out a heavy sigh.

"I'm worried that I'm going to fail to uncover the accomplice's identity," Jesse mumbled.

"Jesse, you're the most determined person I've ever met and I know you'll just keep on getting back up again no matter how many times you're knocked down. Hit the Target doesn't stand a chance," Lukas told her. Jesse's cheeks became tinted with red as the corners of her mouth turned upwards.

Romeo walked up to the two of them, trying his best to avoid bumping into anyone. Jesse noticed that he had a bracelet on his right wrist. The bracelet had spherical prismarine and dark prismarine beads strung through it. The beads seemed to follow the pattern of three prismarine beads, then a dark prismarine bead.

"Where'd you buy the bracelet?" Jesse asked. Romeo fiddled with the bracelet's beads.

"I actually didn't buy it... I made it," Romeo stated. He chuckled to himself. "Hard to believe, I know. Ysa approached me and asked if I knew how to make jewelry. I told her I didn't, so she offered to teach me. Ysa placed the beads and clear string on a nearby table, then walked me through how to make a bracelet and thankfully I got the hang of it in about five minutes," Romeo explained.

"It's a nice bracelet," Jesse commented. Romeo beamed at her.

"Anyway... I was wondering if you're going to interrogate Joel, I'm going to interrogate Joel, or if both of us are going to handle that," Romeo answered.

"I think both of us should handle it. We're a team," Jesse said. Romeo's grin became even more profound.

"Olivia and Radar wanted me to tell you that they left to get Ivor's help to analyze traces of liquid in the potion bottle," Romeo added. He took the bracelet off and slipped it into his inventory. He was proud of himself for actually making something without his powers... so he didn't want to accidentally snap the clear string that was holding the beads together and ruin his hard work.

"Great. I want them to be back by the time we finish interrogating Joel, that way we can reinterrogate... Wait, is 'reinterrogate' a word? Nevermind. After we finish interrogating Joel, hopefully Olivia and Radar will be back so we can talk to everyone about what we found out in the interrogations... which will probably cross some suspects off the list. You and I are then going to reinterrogate the remaining suspects and we'll find out who the accomplice is. Piece of cake. Let's go interrogate Joel," Jesse replied. Jesse and Romeo approached Joel, who was standing next to Lizzie and having a conversation with her.

"...you love to prank your friends but you haven't pranked Romeo yet. That's so unlike you, Lizzie," Joel quipped.

"That's because I've been concocting the perfect plan. I think I'm going to toilet paper his house. I'm stocking up on..." Lizzie's eyes widened when she noticed that Jesse and Romeo had been listening in on her conversation. "Hello! Didn't see you there," Lizzie chirped with a hint of awkwardness in her voice.

Romeo really wasn't sure how to respond. It wasn't every day that you overheard your friend plotting to toilet paper your house.

"Sorry, I kind of have a bad habit of walking in on private conversations," Jesse admitted.

"Jesse and I are going to ask Joel a couple questions, if that's alright," Romeo declared.

"I see. Do you want me to leave during these questions?" Lizzie asked.

"You can stay if you want," Jesse offered. Romeo turned his head to Joel.

"So, we were wondering where you were around eleven o'clock last night," Romeo piped up.

"Lizzie and I were getting ready to fall asleep. We were up late putting the finishing touches on her house... which she insisted had to have lots of pink, cats, and places to display her stuff," Joel replied.

A gasp escaped Jesse's mouth and her eyes widened.

"What? What is it?" Romeo panicked. Jesse didn't answer him or even look his way, instead making strong eye contact with Lizzie and Joel.

"I'm about to tell you two something very important and secret and you have promise that you won't tell anyone else at the party- even your best friends. Got it?" Jesse said. Lizzie and Joel seemed to be unsettled by her news. They looked at each other, then looked back at Jesse and nodded.

"What's going on? Jesse, can you please just tell me what's going-" Romeo pleaded. Jesse's focus on Joel and Lizzie didn't waver.

"Hit the Target is an evil mastermind who's killed Calentine Taylor by blowing up her house and his accomplice is one of the YouTubers. We're not exactly sure who it is yet... but we know it's not Stacy, Stampy, or either of you two. That leaves Ysa, Veeva, and Amy as the possible accomplices. Be on the lookout for suspicious behavior from those three," Jesse explained. Lizzie saluted to her and Joel added a goofy salute of his own.

"Agents SmallishBeans and LDShadowlady at your service," Joel joked.

"Yeah. We're the best at, uh... sneaky spy stuff. We will now be deployed at a location near suspect one," Lizzie chimed in. Lizzie and Joel walked over to Ysa, who was applying a coat of light pink nail polish.

"Jesse, why didn't you tell me what was happening?" Romeo questioned.

"Because I knew you were smart enough to figure it out on your own. You reached the conclusion that Lizzie and Joel aren't suspects anymore because they both have solid alibis and I was going to tell them about the whole accomplice thing. Ro, I get that you desperately crave attention from people and you hate being ignored... but sometimes you just have to sit tight and wait because people have other things to deal with at the moment and have to get back to you later. I know you reached the right conclusion on what was happening, but you didn't trust your own judgement so you reached out to me for validation. You. Are. Intelligent. Okay? You don't need people to confirm that," Jesse stated. She placed her hand on Romeo's shoulder, then slid her hand off of his shoulder.

"You really are a smart cookie," Romeo told her.

"I know. I'm awesome," Jesse chirped. She beamed and put her hands on her hips, looking quite proud of herself. "When Olivia and Radar get back, we can talk about interrogations with the rest of the group and interrogate Ysa, Veeva, and Amy a second time. For now, I guess we can just chat," Jesse suggested.

"Chat? About what?"

"Just stuff that's on our minds," Jesse responded.

"Alright. Um... I've been wanting to tell you something for a while now. It's about my powers," Romeo admitted.