Part 21: We Totally Touched the Doorknob

"They really just... disappeared?" Romeo asked.

"Yeah. The door to Colton, Kali, and Nisha's house was unlocked so Aiden, Gill, and I walked in..." Maya began.

"You broke into their house?!" Romeo exclaimed. Aiden slapped a palm to his forehead and then rolled his eyes.

"Maya, if you could just be quiet and keep your mouth shut for three seconds that would be great!" Aiden snarled. Maya bit her lip.

"We technically didn't break in. The door was unlocked. We also didn't take or even touch anything... except the doorknob. We totally touched the doorknob," Maya pointed out.

"Maya..." Aiden growled.

"What? We did touch the doorknob," Maya replied. She paused for a moment. "Anyway, we decided to investigate the house. What we found was really weird. There was an unfinished board game on the living room floor and popcorn was still in the microwave... which is such a waste of perfectly good popcorn," Maya added.

"Did you find anything else strange?" Romeo questioned. Aiden let out a sigh.

"No, that was it," Aiden replied. The corners of Romeo's mouth turned upwards.

"Maybe if I conduct a closer investigation, I'll find more. The three of you just gave everything a quick glance before leaving, right?" Romeo said.

"Right," Maya confirmed.

"I'll go and check things out then," Romeo decided. He began to walk forward, but Maya stepped in front of him.

"Wait! Can we come with?" Maya interrupted. She pouted and gave Romeo puppy dog eyes. "Pleeease?" Maya begged.

"We really want to stop this Hit the Target guy and I have a feeling that he has something to do with the Ravena siblings' disappearance," Aiden explained. Romeo crossed his arms.

"Fine. I don't trust you and it seems like your only reason for helping Jesse and I is to get back into Lukas' good graces, but I don't know the three people who disappeared and you seem to know them... so I need your experience," Romeo snapped. Aiden's eyes narrowed.

"You think I'm selfish and manipulative?" Aiden hissed.

"Absolutely," Romeo answered. Aiden clenched his fists and gritted his teeth. Romeo could tell that Aiden wanted to shoot back an insult, but something had stopped him. Aiden took a deep breath and exhaled.

"Follow me to Colton, Kali, and Nisha's house," Aiden muttered.

After roughly ten minutes of walking, Romeo and the three Blaze Rods arrived at the Ravena siblings' home.

Colton, Kali, and Nisha's home was very simple. It was a fairly small white house with a stone brick roof and there was a flower bed full of white roses.

The sweet aroma of the white roses filled the air and drifted into Romeo's nose.

Like Lizzie's cottage, its small size and warm atmosphere reminded Romeo of the cabin. Romeo began to cry, then wiped away his tears and gave the house a fierce stare of determination.

"No. I'm not going to let a house reduce me to a sobbing mess," Romeo thought. He entered the house and Maya, Aiden, and Gill followed him.

"Let's check the living room first. That's where the unfinished board game was, so it makes sense to look there," Aiden suggested.

Maya, Aiden, Gill, and Romeo searched the living room. They left no stone unturned, even checking under pillows and in between couch cushions.

Romeo noticed that a small and thin metal cylinder was poking out of the ground near the game board. He pulled the metal cylinder out of the ground and discovered that a needle was attached to it. Romeo touched the top of the needle. The needle poked into Romeo's skin and he felt a wave of exhaustion wash over his body. His eyelids fluttered as he struggled to keep his eyes open and his arms and legs felt heavy.