The Girl the World Saw

(Image used above is from Pinterest- https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/848295279783132256/)

MIKASA

"Someone wanna tell me why this son of a bitch is ignoring us?" the squad leader shouted as he attempted again to gain the attention of a large Titan barrelling down the streets towards the evacuation point.  

"It's an abnormal! Stop trying to figure it out!" another soldier shouted as he too attempted to gain the beast's attention.  

"He's too fast there's no way we will overtake it before it reaches the gate" a female soldier cried out in panic below me as I followed the Titan just ahead.  

"Just stay on him" Dietrich ordered. If we left this one any longer, then it would be on top of the evacuees in minutes.

I'm not going to let that happen.  

Shooting my hooks for the Abnormal's neck, I grappled and clicked my ODM gear to reel myself closer to its neck. Once in the range of its nape, I embedded my blades into the flesh and carved out the weak spot before allowing myself to fall with the beast and landed on the back of its head as it crashed within meters of a large crowd of civilians that should have already passed through the inner gate.

"Excuse me what is all this," I asked incredulously from my perch on the Titan's dissolving head. The gateway had been blocked by a horse-drawn supply wagon and a fat man with two bodyguard type lackeys next to him. Was he preventing the evacuation? Everyone in the crowd turned to stare at me, their faces masks of horror and fear. This wasn't right.  

"Couldn't have asked for better timing! Force these useless morons to push my wagon" the fat man roared "I'll pay you handsomely"

My friends were fighting so that these people could flee, I had watched soldiers be eaten to give them time. Was this man soft in the head?  

"Seriously? Soldiers are dying back there. Laying down their lives for you, all because this is taking too long" I said in utter bewilderment, was he really so blind as to the danger he was in? 

"Yeah, that's their jobs. You expect me to shed a tear because you got to fulfil the duties they signed on for. They're supposed to be willing to lay down their lives. Don't get all high handed on me just because you finally got to earn your damn keep after all these years"the fat man quipped and my blood boiled. Earn my damn keep? People were dying because of this bastard's greed. I gripped my blades tighter as I jumped down from the Titan ready to do something foolish, this snake was moving one way or another.  

"Yeah, no arguing with that. Your absolutely right sir" I snarled as I stalked towards the fat man, he either moved, or I was going to move him in pieces.

"Guess it's what you call the greater good. Still, sometimes it's not the life or death of a soldier that makes the biggest difference" I growled as I raised my blades.

"Don't you even dare! Your commander and I are old friends. One word from me, and you'll be court-martialled".  

Oh, try me. 

"That word going to come from beyond the grave" I threatened as I raised my blade and pointed it at him. One of his guards barrelled at me, and I sidestepped his attack and cracked the flat of my blade across his head, stunning him before barrelling towards the fat man and raising my sword over his head. 

"No, wait!" he begged pathetically.  

"Sir maybe we should err..." his other lackey gestured to the wagon. A few heartbeats passed, and I kept my stance, making sure the fat man knew how deadly serious I was.