Dissention

RIAN

"Gelgar why are you so heavy?" I complained as I helped heave the groaning party into the nearest bed. I had gone to the makeshift medical centre as soon as I was free from duty to check on Aurora, who I had been told by Captain Levi of all people, was receiving treatment there for a head wound. However upon arrival instead of being granted access to my sister, I had been lumbered alongside Eld with making sure Gelgar got to bed safe and had been kicked out without seeing her.

Dumping Gelgar on his bunk, I helped tuck him in before I followed suit stripping down to my trousers and flopping back on to the nearest bed and heaved a deep sigh of utter woe, making a silent promise to find Aurora in the morning so as not to disturb her sleep. 

The battle for Trost had brought a whole new meaning to the word suffering, as the quiet after the battle had subsided and the shock and fear had worn off, the mourning began. The cries of the survivors filled had the air as they lamented their loved ones that had been devoured by the Titans giving the entire city a feeling of deep sadness.

It had all been so hard-hitting. Fighting to reclaim the city, seeing the utter chaos and devastation to then learn that Eren, the boy who I had known since his birth was able to transform into the very thing I feared the most in this world had almost been enough to tip me over the edge, but when that chorus of heartbroken wails had begun to play, I had lost my final nerve and succumbed to my emotions.

No matter how hard I had tried, I couldn't shake the memory of that steaming Titan carcass that Eren had been pulled from. I had heard the report that Captain Levi had delivered to Commander Erwin and had watched as the MPs had arrived and took custody of Eren and I hadn't even been able to feel relief at seeing Armin and Mikasa alive because I was too busy struggling to comprehend what I was seeing and feeling.

Eren could transform into a Titan, my first thought had been how was this possible but that soon turned into when? Had he always known that he could become one of them? And if so, what the hell were his intentions? Why hadn't he told us?

Unfiltered dread and sickness had twisted my stomach before the Commander ordered us to move on and retake the western markets and I had channelled all of those raw feelings into killing as many Titans as I could, but every time, I brought my blades down on their napes I had seen Eren's face in my mind, and the feeling of abhorrence grew stronger and stronger until the next Titan I had come across had morphed into Eren entirely and I had thrown up unable to bear it any longer.

I sighed again in exhaustion as I pushed it all to the back my mind to deal with all in the morning before turning onto my side to allow the emptiness of sleep swallow me. Suddenly, a sharp knock rapped against the wooden door in an all too familiar pattern, forced my eyes open again and groaning, I pulled myself back up out of bed, rubbing at my eyes.I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that Aurora would turn up sooner or later, but at this hour in the night something must be on her mind, I only hoped it wasn't about him.

"Aurora?" Eld gasped in horror as he opened the door, she must be looking particularly grim for that response, "What are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to be in the infirmary?"

"You know me, Eld" my sister drawled "Up and at em."

"Don't let Miche catch you" Eld warned, "Reports need filing and if your fit and well you won't be spared the paperwork."

Making my way over to the door, I got a glimpse at what had made Eld gasp in horror as Aurora's face, which was an absolute mess, came into view. The entire left side of her face was mottled with dark purple and yellow bruising and her left eyebrow was boasting fresh stitches, no doubt from that head injury Levi had mentioned. Her hair was all over the place, and her uniform was stained with blood and dirt and I sighed in frustration wondering when was she going to learn.