The Might of The Survey Corp

RIAN

Aurora's cry of frustration rang out through the forest as I watched her put her feet back into her stirrups, no longer willing to go against her Captain's orders and inhaling in relief, I too put my feet back into my stirrups no longer needing to follow my sister into combat.

Where you go, I go, don't go where the other can't follow.

I wasn't going to let her go and fight on her own, but it would have been a mistake to engage the Female Titan now, not when it was clear that Captain Levi was in possession of information that we clearly weren't and even if he chose not to answer me when I had asked if she was why we were here, I knew without a doubt it was the reason. Levi was allowing her to give chase.

The only question is, chase us to where?

"Everyone cover your ears! Now!" Levi ordered before raising his arm in the air, flare gun loaded, and I barely had a second to clamp my hands over my ears when a high-pitched ringing ripped through the air causing my teeth to clench in pain as my attempts to soften the noise was useless against my heightened hearing.

"Was that an acoustic round?!" Eren stammered incredulously and shaking my head to clear the ringing, I glanced towards Aurora to see she too was struggling with the pain in her ears as she glared at Captain Levi. 

"Remind me what is our mission?" Captain Levi drawled, his voice steady despite death chasing us, "Is it to simply act on impulse in the heat of the moment, let me answer that question for you, it's not!" 

"This squad's mission is to keep this brat alive whatever the cost. Don't forget it." Captain Levi ordered, "We keep pushing forward on horseback is that clear?" 

Not really.

"As a bell, sir!" Petra called out; voice more confident than before despite the Female Titan gaining on us inch by inch.

"But for how long!" Eren demanded, and I didn't blame him, "We can't keep running forever, she is right on top of us as it is! If we don't do something soon then -" Eren broke off as more lines grappled above us and diving out of the trees, more and more of our brothers and sisters in arms threw themselves at the Female Titan in the vain hope that they could stop her, and one by one they failed as they gave their lives for the cause. 

This isn't for the cause, its just wholesale slaughter!

"NO!" Eren wailed, "They keep coming! They are all gonna die unless we turn around and do something!"

A blood-curling scream ripped through the air as another comrade met his end at the hands of the Female Titan and all I could do was watch, because if I acted now, then Aurora would follow, and if we both moved to fight then, Eren would as well. Eren was the bait here, it was apparent the Female Titan was after him so as much as I was shitting myself with this bitch behind me, and as much as it was tearing me apart watching our people die, we needed to keep Eren moving.

"Eyes front! Stop looking behind!" I ordered Eren, who turned to look at me in disbelief.

"Seriously?!" He shouted, anger twisting his features.

"Keep pace with the rest of the group, or we are all dead!" Eld barked as Eren's horse began to slow its pace as its rider became more and more focused on what was happening behind him and looking around frantically, Eren focused in on Aurora who was clearly struggling with what was being asked of her, despite her decision to follow Captain Levi's orders. 

"Aurora! please help them!" Eren appealed, his eyes desperate and rather than answer him, Aurora closed her eyes and turned her head away, ashamed of her inaction as more cries of terror rang above us.