The Call to War

AURORA

I gasped for air as the tunnel filled with dust and as we scrambled down into the darkness with a giant hand appearing from the dust cloud reaching out for us. Screaming, I slashed my blade down in a downwards arc and cut the Female Titan's fingers from her hand and watched as it slithered back out the tunnel over the dead bodies of our comrades.  

Mangled corpses lay beneath the rubble, and the brick walls were spattered with blood and gore from the men and women who had bravely tried to restraint Annie Leonhart, giving their lives in doing so. Anger clawed it's way up my throat as I stared at the red liquid dripping from the brickwork, and my hands shook with unbridled rage as Rian's large hand wrapped around my arm and forcefully dragged me down the tunnel away from the entrance.

"Damn it! That ring, she must have known I was lying to her from the very beginning!" Armin cried as he ran down the tunnel, "She knew we were leading her into a trap. I should have taken a different approach."

"Save the should-haves for after were out of this!" Rian ordered as I pulled my arm from his hand and picked up my pace, pushing to the front of the group, "The question now is what do we do next?"

"We rendezvous with squad 3 then get the hell above ground and contain her!" I shouted behind me as loud crashes echoed from above us and down through the Earth.

The bitch is on top of us!

"So we're fighting her out in the open?" Mikasa asked, voice calm and ready. Good, we would need her for what was to come.

"We have no choice, so Eren it means were switching to plan B." I affirmed as I turned to look at a pale looking Eren, "She is all yours, got it?"

Nodding his head, Eren didn't speak and pushed on ahead, his breathing coming out in shallow pants, as the sweat poured from his forehead.

He's not got this.

"Over here." I voice called down from the tunnel ahead, and I huffed a breath of relief as Squad 3 came into sight, "What the hell happened is plan A a no go?"

"Yeah, she has already transformed. Get your asses above ground we have to contain her." I commanded just as a thundering crash sounded from above and the ceiling caved in revealing a large skinless foot as it stomped down right on top of Squad 3.

"NOO!" I screamed as I was heaved back and shielded on the floor as dust and debris flew up the tunnel by Rian's large frame. Coughing and spluttering, I struggled to breathe as dust filled my lungs and panic began to take over me at the thought of suffocating beneath the earth. Grasping my shoulders, Rian rolled me over onto my knees and whacked my back hard so I could cough up what was blocking my throat before reaching forward and grasping my face in his hands.

That was too close.

"She caved in the ceiling." Armin gasped horrified as air returned to my lungs and Rian, satisfied I wasn't choking, nodded to me and released my face before turning to help Mikasa with Eren.

We have to get out of this tunnel, or it will end up being our tomb.

"We've got to pull them out of there!" Eren cried out as he struggled against Mikasa's grip on him, his eyes fixed on the giant foot and the dead men beneath its heel.

"Get back!" Rian ordered as he seized Eren and dragged him back towards me, "They are dead!"

"What the hell was that, does she not care if she kills Eren too?" Mikasa exasperated as she watched the Female Titan pull her foot out of the hole she had just created in the ceiling with hate-filled eyes.