A Knife in the Dark

RIAN

A firm, insistent knocking woke me from my sleep, and I strained my eyes in the darkness to get my bearings as another firm rap hit the wooden door. Groaning, I pulled myself from my warm bed to answer the door, angry at the disruption. I had been having a rather pleasant dream of our days by the canal back in Shiganshina when things had been far more straightforward, when I had been happy.

Heaving the door open, I squinted my eyes against the candlelight of the corridor to see the dead-eyed glare of none other than Captain Levi, whose face was murderous. 

What the hell does he want?

"Sparhawke." the captain grit out in greeting as if I was the last person he wanted to see.

The feeling is mutual.

"Sir?" I yawned as I rubbed my stinging eyes, did he realise what time it was?

"I'm looking for Aurora, is she with you?" the midget asked as he peered around me to look inside my room.

Why is he looking for Aurora this late in the night?

"No, sir. She is likely to be in her dorm considering the time" I snapped "She is bunking with Hange tonight, if I recall"

"Tch" Levi scoffed as he shook his head in irritation before turning around and leaving the way he came. The memory of the trial this morning flashed in my mind, and I knew I had to say something.

"Captain?" I called out before Levi he could disappear, making him stop and look over his shoulder waiting. Sighing, I moved closer to him and groaned internally for what was about to pass my lips.

"Thank you for what you did today, you saved not just Eren's life but Aurora's and Mikasa's as well." I reluctantly admitted, "They would have called for their heads too had Eren been sentenced to death, so thank you, sir."

"Your sister doesn't seem to agree." the Captain said as he struggled to keep his face void of any emotion.

So that's why you're looking for her.

"She does, but she's too angry to let logic win out for now, trust me I've been there, she will calm down eventually. Had it been her in chains and beaten she would have gone along no questions asked but she never did think clearly when it comes to the others. They are precious to her and she to them. What you did today, I know you did it for Aurora"  I said, and I couldn't keep the accusation out of my voice as I towered over him, "I saw your face when the merchant said she should be dissected too; you have feelings for her"

"Is there a point you're trying to make Sparhawke?" Levi jeered as he levelled my gaze, utterly unfazed by my presence which only served to piss me off more.

"She may not be my biggest fan right now, but she is my sister. I can't tell her to stay away from you, I'm not our Grandfather, and I know you're not going to stay away from her, but If you hurt her in any way, I will break all the bones in your body." I threatened as I gave my best menacing stare, which considering I looked like Grandfather, was easy to do. What I hadn't expected, however, was for the broad grin that spread across the Captain's face, changing his entire appearance.

Is this the Levi that Aurora was so fascinated with?

"It may bring joy to your heart to know that I had that exact threat from Aurora in regards to Eren. Your more alike than you think." the Captain laughed to himself before turning around only to freeze when a sickly thin man appeared from the shadows.

"You're not supposed to be here" the gaunt man muttered to himself as he unsheathed a rusty dagger from his side "Only the redhaired man he said."