The Battle for Trost Part one

JEAN

It's over.

This is not how I imagined my life would end. One stupid day and I'd have been in the interior. One blasted day. What was the point in everything I had done for the last 3 years, I worked my ass off to leave this shithole of a city, and now it looks like I'll die here anyway. How's that for irony.

"Hey, jean. What are we gonna do?" Connie asked nervously as his eyes darted about the streets.

Damned if I know.

A small group of us had amassed on this rooftop like an all you can eat buffet and the cherry on top? We had no gas left. So, what are we going to do? Sit and get eaten, that's what.

"We can't do anything. They finally gave us the order to withdraw and were all out of gas of course" I sighed deeply "I can't believe this is how it's going to end because of those damned cowards".

Could have been in the interior.

"Do you mean the supply depo? What is going on? Where are they?" Connie rambled as his hysteria began to bubble over and yet I couldn't help but add to it, best to get the poison out before I kick the bucket.

"They all lost their will to fight. I can understand why but they abandoned their duty to supply us, barricading themselves inside HQ and of course, Titans have swarmed the places which means we can't get the gas ourselves" I almost scoffed, of course Titans would swarm the only strategically valuable area in Trost.

"Then why are we waiting! We gotta go! Start thinning their numbers, so we gotta chance! Sitting here on this roof is totally pointless. Eventually, the Titans are gonna come for us!" Connie flapped his arms around him to exaggerate his already obvious point "We don't have much gas left we will waste what little we've got if we try to run and without our mobility were completely screwed" 

He chooses now to have his head screwed on. What timing.

"You're using your head for once, Connie. Nice going. But I'm not sure we've got the numbers needed to pull this thing off. The veterans and the vanguard force have all been killed. How exactly do a bunch of rookies pull off a suicide mission like this?" I argued, "I mean let's assume half of our force even survives the initial assault. Then what? The supply room is probably crawling with Titans in the 3- or 4-meter range. I don't see us accomplishing much in there."

Why was I even debating this, it was over.

"It's hopeless" Connie dropped to his knees in despair as his slow working brain caught up to what I had figured out 10 minutes ago. My life had barely begun, and this was my defining moment. Eaten on a rooftop, it wasn't even original.

"God what a dull life this turned out to be" I muttered. The memory of Mikasa on the back of that tall redhaired man, Rylan or something, flitted through my brain suddenly like a point of light in a dark tunnel. She had been happy that day, it had been the first time I had seen her laugh and smile as she roughhoused with that man and Eren while Armin and another red haired girl watched on happily. 

I never even got to tell her just how I feel.

"Come on, guys, we can do it! If we all work together, we can make this happen, I know we can! Alright, I'll take the lead" Sasha began grabbing people's arms to try and motivate them but what was the point? Why waste time-fighting the inevitable when we can sit back and have front row seats to the show?

Giving up with the few cadets standing around her, Sasha ran over to the huddled mess of blonde hair in the corner that was staring vacantly into nothing. I don't even want to know what that one saw, I'll just leave it to my imagination.