- thirty-five -

The beeping of the heart monitor resonated in my head

The beeping of the heart monitor resonated in my head. I stared outside through the window of the hospital room blankly, as the doctor explained something to Victoria in a hushed voice.

"Thank you, doctor." She offered him a polite smile before making her way to my bed. "Hey, babe," the mattress shifted as she took a seat on the bed. "They're gonna need you to stay the night to run some tests. The doctor said that you're probably exhausted and dehydrated."

"Thank you." I uttered, still not looking at her. "You know, for... everything. For picking me up and driving me here, and staying until I was back to my senses."

"Hey, of course," she cooed softly, placing a hand over mine. "That's what friends are for, right? You sounded so frail when you called me, I got so scared. There was no way I'd leave you in a moment of need."

Yeah, but somebody else would.

A bitter taste filled my mouth as I was reminded of Taehyung ghosting me when I needed him most. In the end, somehow in my half-conscious state, I had called Victoria and she had come as quickly as possible.

"I'm gonna go grab something from the vending machine." she announced with a smile a bit too forced, probably trying to cheer me up.

"You don't have to spend the whole night here with me," I told her in a weak voice. "You already did so much for me."

"Are you kidding me?" she raised her eyebrows. "Of course I'm staying, Y/N. I'd have to be a monster to leave you alone at a time like that."

Yeah, or you'd have to be my idiot boyfriend.

"Okay." I gave up protesting and offered her a smile before she stepped out.

I sank deeper in between the pillows, my mind racing. It wasn't long until there was a knock at the door, and I figured Victoria had forgotten her purse or something.

"Come in," I said in a strained voice, turning my gaze to the door wearily.

The door swung open to reveal a rather concerned looking Taehyung. His head hung low over his chest as his eyes darted around the room before fixating at me.

"Hey." He said in a small voice.

Just the sight of him was enough to make my stomach turn in an unfriendly way again.

"I... I called you." he said, closing the door behind himself but still not taking steps towards me.

"Sorry, I was too busy laying on this hospital bed." I retorted.

"Are you alright? What happened?" He asked as he shuffled to the bed. He reached out a hand to stroke my head but I shuddered away.

"Keep your hands to yourself." I clenched my jaw.

"What's the matter?" he asked, eyes widening in unfiltered surprise.

"You want to know what the matter is? The matter is that I was feeling sick and had to call Victoria for help because you weren't answering any of my calls!" I snapped furiously, my body shaking with the hurt and the anger.