Chapter 1

Disclaimer: Everything belongs to their respectful owners. I own nothing but the plot.

August 6th, 2020

Alaric's POV: Holding my phone against my ear, I poured myself a glass of bourbon before sitting down behind my desk. "I understand that, but we need to keep this project of ours concealed. If the government finds out that we're building this school, then they'll likely shut it down or bomb the place before we can even build the damn thing", I explained, swirling the amber liquid around in my glass.

Leaning back against my chair, I turned around to look at the billboard behind me as I set my glass down on the desk. "Did anyone notice you", I asked, furrowing my eyebrows in concern. Closing my eyes painfully, my grip on my phone tightened as tears threatened to fall from my eyes. "Are you sure", I asked, my voice cracking. "Alright. I'll mark it off", I nodded. Taking a red marker, I marked off a location on the map before glancing at the other maps solemnly.

"I have Bonnie and Damon checking most of the prison camps up North. Elena is checking hospitals to see if any of the kids tried to check in", I explained. "I know this is hard for you, Caroline", I sighed. "It is for me too, but we will find them", I promised before the door behind me swung open, causing me to turn around to grab the gun out of my second drawer on my right only to see Dorian run inside, out of breath. "Hey, I have to let you go", I said, hanging up the phone. "What's wrong", I asked him worriedly.

"We found something", he breathed, causing my hands to twitch.

"What? Where", I demanded, as hope sparked behind my eyes.

"Fort Valley, Georgia", he breathed. "One of the buses, carrying multiple prisoners, never checked in this morning. I got a team heading out there now to check it out", he explained.

"Which means that we need to find that bus before anyone else does", I nodded. "Great. Report back to me when you have more information", I commanded, causing him to nod in understanding before leaving the room.

Picking up a picture off my desk, I looked down at Caroline's humorous smile as she watched a small brunette feed a small blonde a handful of cake. Smiling tearfully at the memory, I put down the photograph before wiping at my eyes. The twins had just turned six, and Caroline had tried to help get the girls a slice of cake, but they took it into their own hands and practically attacked it.

That was the last day that I ever saw my daughters. They were already gone by the time we woke up the next morning. I called in some friends to help us find them, and have been searching ever since. Tracing over the picture, a tear fell from my eye before I downed the rest of the glass of bourbon.

Hey everyone. I thought I might rewrite the Darkest Legacies, and mold it into something new. I hope you enjoy it. Let me know what you think.