Chapter 11

Josie's POV: Walking from my room, I rub my eyes tiredly as I made my way toward the kitchen for a cup of coffee. I've been up all night, studying for an exam coming up this week, and still don't understood half of it. "Hey, Jojo", Penelope smiled, wrapping her arm around my shoulders. I let out a small grunt, causing Penelope to burst out laughing.

"That's right! Keep it walking, or cavewoman, Jojo, here will attack you", Penelope yelled out to the crowd with her fist raised, causing me to smack her arm. "It's too late", Penelope yelled out dramatically. "She's already got me", she laughed out.

"I've been studying for that stupid history test coming up", I told her, rolling my eyes at her little show. "I better make an A on this, or burn her hair off", I grumbled, speaking of which, I really should check on my dad.  

"Aww, you're so cute when you're angry", Penelope smiled, causing me to pause. 

Did she just...

"W-what...", I questioned, my heart fluttering slightly.

"You look like a teddy bear when you're angry", she shrugged, causing me to shove her shoulders slightly.

 I smiled at her, shaking my head in amusement, before taking her arm, leading her down the hall. "Come on, weirdo",  I laughed, pulling her toward my dad's office. "I'll just be a minute", I promised, walking inside. 

I frowned at the empty bottles scattered around the room and my dad passed out on his desk yet again. Shaking my head, I frowned when I saw multiple newspapers around the room. What would he want with a bunch of newspapers?

Picking one of them up, I looked it over, seeing something circled in red. Two other Rebellions were taken down by Triad. Picking up more I looked over them, finding the same results. Rebellion burned down. New Orleans in ruin. More innocents have died. Salvatore school survives Triad Invasion. What could this mean?  

"Josie...", dad's voice got out, causing me to turn around with them in my hands. 

"Dad, what are these? Why do you have them", I asked him, watching his face fall.

"I didn't want to tell you", he admitted. "I wasn't sure", he sighed, getting to his feet.

"And now", I asked, crossing my arms. 

________________________________________________________________________________

Penelope's POV: I leaned against the wall boredly, waiting on Josie. I turned my head as I heard yelling coming from inside. Dr. Saltzman must be drunk again. I jumped back as something shattered before Josie stormed out of his office, pushing past me roughly with tears streaming down her face.

Looking back into the office, I noticed burned newspapers and  broken glass everywhere. Glancing at Dr. Saltzman with wide eyes as he sighed looking away guiltily. 

What did I just miss?

I turned to go after Josie before a strange feeling washed over me, causing me to collapse to the ground.