Chapter 18

Soldier's POV: My eyes fluttered open as I looked around the blurry room cautiously. Looking over the stone wall and iron bars, I let out a low moan. You have got to be kidding me! How the hell did they manage to find me? Yanking at the restraints on my arms, I flopped against the bed in annoyance. 

This is just perfect. 

"You're awake", I heard someone say, causing me to turn my head. 

"You think you can keep me here", I challenged as my voice broke. Pushing my tears back, I squint my eyes in attempt to see past the fog. My vision slowly cleared as I spotted a brunette girl on the outside of the bars. 

"What the...", I trailed off, looking around the room again before my memories slowly came back. "Oh...it's you", I said in relief. So much for not getting caught. "Thanks for the fire by the way. I was feeling a bit cold back there", I told her sarcastically.

"Me? You shot Penelope, and nearly shot Hope", she exclaimed, causing me to wince at the sound. 

"Could you keep your voice down", I asked. "You don't have to be so loud. I can hear you just fine without your dreadful shouting", I glared. "Furthermore, you sound like a dying banshee", I huffed, catching her glaring at me angrily. "Just saying", I shrugged.

"How could you be so heartless? You could've killed them", she seethed, causing me to roll my eyes. 

It wasn't my fault the girl jumped in front of the bullet. 

She brings a new meaning to 'bite the bullet'. 

Chuckling at my joke, I paused as I remembered where I was. 

Right...

"She's alive? Huh, maybe I should aim higher next time", I shot back coldly, before hearing the door swing open as the bed turned over. I bit my lip as my body hit the floor, causing my eyes to darken as a shiver went down my spine. "Now this really seems to bring back memories", I chuckled, trying to hide the pain in my voice.

"What's wrong with you", she asked in annoyance.

"I see you left the mask on", I noted, feeling the familiar material press against my face. "Shame you burned it. I was growing rather attached to the poor thing", I hummed, noticing the multiple holes in it.

"You're insane", she noted, causing me to pause as anger built up in my chest. Yanking my restraints, I broke the straps as I got to my feet, pushing my pain aside.

"You don't know me! You have no idea what I've been through", I snapped as she backed up in surprise. "I could've killed you the moment you walked through that door and not thought twice about it", I hissed, backing her into the wall.

"Then explain it to me", she challenged, causing a laugh to escape my lips.

"I like you", I chuckled as she blinked in confusion at the sudden shift in emotion.

"Why are you after Hope", she asked.

"Why don't you worry about your precious school instead of meddling in my business", I warned, patting her on the cheek as she shoved me away violently before something quickly caught my eye. My eyes burned as I shoved her against the wall harshly. "What games are you playing with me", I growled as her eyes widened almost fearfully.

"I don't know what you're-"

"Don't lie to me", I yelled, wrapping my hand around her throat threateningly. "Who are you", I demanded, my eyes glancing back down at the familiar necklace. Gripping the chain, I ripped it from her neck forcefully, causing a gasp to escape her lips. Tracing my finger over the necklace gently, I glared back up at her as tears seemed to quickly fill her eyes.

"No", she exclaimed, reaching out for it desperately. "Give that back", she yelled as I shoved her against the wall again. 

"Stop", I heard a familiar voice shout, causing my anger to increase. 

She knew? 

She knew this entire time?!

Throwing the girl to the ground, I turned toward the door to see Mikaelson glancing between me and Josie worriedly. "You", I growled, trying to keep the hurt out of my voice. "You knew", I breathed as the light above us exploded.

"Let me explain", she pleaded, but my attention quickly turned back around toward the other girl.

"Where did you get this", I fumed. 

"I...I don't-"

"Tell me", I yelled as the bed flew across the room, nearly hitting Mikaelson. 

"M-my d-" 

My hand shot out, punching her across the face as she completely crumbled to the floor. "W-what did you do", I inhaled. "What did you do to her", I demanded as blood gushed from her nose. 

"I don't know w-what you're talking about", she cried, causing me to grab her shirt as I punched her again.

"You're lying", I yelled, before a pair of arms wrapped around my waist, pulling me away from her. "Get your hands off me", I screamed as the ground shook violently. 

"You need to calm down", Mikaelson warned.

"NO! S-she did something to her. I know it", I screamed again before she turned me around in her arms.

"Look at-look at me", she urged. "You need to calm down. You'll bring the whole building onto our heads", she pleaded. 

"You killed her! Admit it", I exclaimed, struggling against her as tears streamed down my face. 

When did I start crying? 

"I don't know what you're talking about", the girl exclaimed tearfully.

"You Son of a Bitch, I'll kill you", I cried, holding out my hand as the girl screamed in pain.

"Hey! Stop! Stop", Mikaelson yelled, shaking me violently as I slowly began closing my fist tearfully. "Stop! It's Josette! Josette Saltzman", she exclaimed, causing me to freeze as I lowered my hand.

"T-that's not possible", I denied tearfully. 

"Josette...was my mom", the girl coughed out. "She died giving birth", she breathed, pushing herself up with a wince. "My n-name is Josie", she said as everything came crashing down around me. 

Josie Saltzman.

My eyes widened as the necklace slipped from my hand and clattered to the floor. "That's...", I breathed, the words dying out as I stared at the bruise on her cheek and the blood running from her nose.

Looking down at my shaking hands, I noticed blood covering my right hand as I felt a sharp pain shoot up the side of my head. The room seemed to spin around me as my eyes caught Josie's tearful, brown eyes before looking over into Mikaelson's confused ones. 

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion as Mikaelson's mouth moved as if to say something, but all I could hear is a loud ringing noise. I felt Mikaelson's arms tighten around me as the world quickly faded away.