Chapter 9

I was lying on the sofa watching a film when I heard a car pulling over next to my house. My parents were back home. I quickly cleaned the little table in front of the sofa where I had eaten and threw the rest of the wine in the glass away. While running upstairs, I heard the door opening. I could hear how a pair of keys were put on the counter next to the door and how both of them took their shoes off. I then heard my mother shouting from downstairs: "Catherine we are home!"
I responded with a dry:" Hi" hoping they would leave it to that.
"Come eat with us." My dad firmly stated. I reluctantly went back downstairs and sat on the kitchen table. My mom quickly made some pasta while my dad stared at me from the other side of the table.

"What have you done this weekend?" He asked.
"Nothing out of the ordinary, I studied and invited a friend over to watch a movie last night." I responded. When it came to lying to my parents I was truly good at it. A natural talent.
"Which friend?" My mom added.
"Martha". They knew Martha already and she made a good impression on them so I always used her as an excuse when it came to lying about where I was. She knew that and always covered for me.

My dad opened the fridge and saw the half bottle of wine in the fridge.
"Have you been drinking all this wine?" I shrugged my shoulders. "You need to ease up with the Alkohol Cathrine, we don't have time to pick you up from the hospital because you were stupid enough not to control yourself." I nodded. What a lovely parent.
"I met an Engineer at the congress I was holding, I spoke to him, he studied in Zurich and works now for an electrical company in Munich. You could give him a call and..."
"Dad, leave it, I'll talk about my future when I feel ready." He rolled his eyes.
    "And when will that be?" Every fucking time. He couldn't really talk about anything else. I couldn't bare this tension anymore.
"Can I go upstairs I have to finish some things for school." He nodded and I ran upstairs.

I put my pajama on closed the door of my room and then opened my computer watching tv series until I fell asleep.

I could hear him coming closer. He was going up the stairs looking for me. I hid under Stephanie's bed hoping he wouldn't find me. He threw the door open and started screaming: "Where is she!" I stopped breathing. I didn't want him to hear my breath. Hiding. I needed to hide better. Steps. Fast steps going down. Run Catherine. I had to run away. I stood up and tried going somewhere else. Where am I? This wasn't my house anymore. I was on a meadow in the middle of nowhere. I saw him on the other side. Run. I started moving my legs but I could not go further. I heard how he came closer. Run. Run. Please start running.
It started to rain. Or was I crying? I couldn't move. I then heard it. The first hit. From behind. I fell on the ground. A kick in the stomach. Another kick in the stomach. I tried screaming but I couldn't. He grabbed my hair. I was again at my house. He was dragging me by my hair through the whole kitchen. Cleaning the floor with the left side of my face. Red paint on the ground. Or was it blood? Was my cheek bleeding?

I woke up grasping for air. "It was just a dream," I told myself trying to breathe regularly again. I stood up, trying to relax. I went down to the kitchen, made myself a glass of wine and sat outside in the garden. I started taking beep breaths. The whole time I just stared at nothing sipping wine.

I then took out my phone out and called Stephanie, my sister. She quickly answered worried: "Catherine is everything ok?"
I guess she thought I had some kind of emergency. "I couldn't sleep I had a nightmare."
"What's going on?" My sister was amazing. She didn't even note that it was 4 in the morning. That question hit me. I started crying. I couldn't stop and just kept on. She didn't say a word. She knew I just needed somebody to let it all out with. After 10min I calmed down.

"I miss you" I whispered.
"I miss you too, it's gonna be all right, don't worry. Go to bed now we'll talk in the morning okay?"
"Okay....Love you"
"Love you too." I put the phone down, finished the wine and went back inside. I went to bed and after some time I fell asleep.

Hey :),
Let me know what you think about the story so far. And don't forget to vote and comment!