Chapter 13

Take out the book. Open the book. Read. Pay attention. Write things down. Take notes. Be a good student. Be a good person. Be what they want you to be.

After school, I went with Martha outside. I was ready to go home when a motorcycle approached us and the biker took his helmet off.

"What are you doing here?" I asked confused. It was Dean.

"I'm here to pick you up." He answered firmly. I turned around and saw how everyone was looking at me and whispering. More Gossip. Yey.

"I guess I'll see you tomorrow," I told Martha and took the helmet Dean was handing me. I saw how she was looking at him. As if she wanted to eat him up. Bitch. I hopped on the motorcycle thinking he would take me home, but apparently he had other plans. We stopped in front of a park and after jumping off the motorcycle we started walking. We were in complete silence. I didn't know what Dean was trying to pull off here. He had never been like this. After a while, he broke the silence.

"Did anything happen to you the last days?" he asked. I looked at him cryptically. His face expression didn't change but I could recognize a feeling in his eyes. Was he...worried? Then it hit me.
"Did you have anything to do with what happened last night?" I asked. He didn't answer. I guess that was a yes.
"What the fuck, Dean!" I hit him on the arm and shouted in his face.

"Look...", he tried staying calm, but his voice was trembling. "...I got into some trouble with the Juàrez Cartel and they apparently thought we were together. They sent me a picture of you unconscious, saying they would hurt you and I got really scared. I'm sorry I didn't want to involve you in this."

That explained a lot.
"What kind of trouble?" I asked carefully. What kind of mess had he gotten into?
"My guys started dealing some of their shit but a big package got lost and they want their money back." I knew this whole dealing would get him in trouble. And that I would get in trouble having to do with him.

"I'm dealing with this just give me some time." I rolled my eyes.
"So what now, should I be scared they will try to take me again?" He shrugged his shoulders.
"I don't know, Catherine, from what I understood, they recognized you at a bar and you were stupid enough to follow them. But they don't know much about you." Oh really? Is that how he wanted to deal with it? By blaming me?

"Dean Harper, don't you dare put this whole mess on me, you fucking idiot." He looked down.
"Are your Parents home this week?" He asked.
"No, they are away as usual." I knew where this was going...
"Can you sleep at my place this week?" He quickly said.
"Of course I cannot sleep at your place Dean, it's in the middle of fucking nowhere and very distant from the school."
"Then I'll sleep at yours." Really Dean? You wanna play the protective boyfriend? We both knew he didn't give a fuck about anything or anybody. But he wouldn't have left it alone.

"Fine... but you are gonna sleep on the couch." He nodded and laughed. I could not resist and started laughing too. This whole situation was just so absurd that it started becoming hilarious.
"Come on I'll get you home." I nodded and we drove home. The whole way we stayed silent. He dropped me home and told me he would come back in a few hours.

I looked at my phone and saw a message from an anonymous number:

You still own me a date I am not letting you off the hook so easily.

Was that Liam? I had totally forgotten about our date.

I have time now.

I guess I thought he would not have time but he quickly answered:

I'll pick you up in 20min.

Well, that was unexpected. I guess I didn't think of him as a spontaneous person. Now I didn't have an excuse. I prepared myself for what I thought would have been a lame boring date. Liam wasn't the right guy for me. I mean he was so ordinary. The perfect boy, with the blue eyes, perfect grades, captain of the lacrosse team. What could I have possibly had in common with him? That kiss though.... But that was so not the point.
I quickly texted him:

Where are we even going?

I want to show you something. Put comfortable things on.

Ok, now I was curious. Where did he want to bring me? I went to my room and put some leggings on and a hoodie. Very hot I know. After I put some makeup on, I heard a clacson outside. I looked out the window and saw Liam's car. I went outside where Liam was holding the door of his car open.
He smiled at me showing his dimples and I smiled back.

"Can I at least try to guess where we are going?" I looked at him.
He turned and answered laughing: "You can try."
Challenge accepted.

"Let me guess, it's a quite isolate place in a park where you go to think and you never took anybody, but I'm special?" I said in a sarcastic tone.
He started laughing.
"Yeah Catherine, you definitely watch too many teen love stories."
"I do not!" I screamed shocked.

Okay, maybe I did. It was the one thing I allowed myself to do that was extremely girly. I always found that life portrayed in those movies so...simple. And I guess I loved to associate people in my life to characters in movies to make some order or at least try to. I always saw Liam as the typical popular high schooler with the perfect life but after my short yet quite unsettling experience with him au had the feeling that he was more then just a stupid label.

For the first time in a very long time, I took a deep breath and relaxed.

Hey :),
Let me know what you think about the story so far. And don't forget to vote, comment and read the next chapter!