Chapter 17

I jumped in Collin's car quickly without even thinking twice and we drove directly to the hospital.
"Collin, what happened?" He looked straight at the street, staying in silence.
"Please, Collin, tell me."
"He got beaten up pretty badly." my heart stopped.

How bad was it? Was he dying? I couldn't bear the thought of losing him. The whole way to the hospital I just kept thinking the worse, imagining the worst-case scenarios.
When we arrived I ran out of the car directly into the hospital and quickly asked at the reception where he was. I ran upstairs up to his room.

He was lying on the bed, his face completely broken, sleeping. I went up to him and sat next to his bed. He slowly woke up and opened his eyes a little bit. When he realized it was me, he tried smiling but it hurt too much.
"What did they do!" I started screaming and crying. I lied on his stomach and continued crying like crazy. He was a wreck. It hurt like hell to see him like this.

"Hey..." He tried speaking to calm me down. He slowly moved his hand trying to reach me. I held his hand and try calming down. We stayed like this all day. I helped him to eat, spoke with the doctors. The parents didn't know anything. Dean didn't want them to know. I understood that. I would have rather had him on my side then my parents too. I slept there lying beside him, staying in silence. We were alone, but at least we had each other. The next day I woke up because his phone was vibrating like crazy. I picked it up to turn it off and somebody called his phone. I answered.
"Haven't had enough yet? I'll kill you if you don't give me every last cent you own me." He was shouting on the phone.
"Who is this?" I asked. Nobody said a word on the other line. There was silence for a good minute.
" Tell your Boyfriend I want my money, Catherine." Francisco. Of course, it was him. Dean didn't tell me who was involved in all this but I could have imagined it was him.
"Since when do you work for the Juaréz Cartel, Francisco? Where they really that desperate?" I'm not gonna get intimidated by that pussy.
"You haven't changed a bit." Oh please.
"You are such a fucking idiot, you know that? Did you send people to my fucking school? Grow the fuck up. You are in serious trouble. I don't care about your little drug deals but you fucking hurt him and you are going to pay for that. You thought we would be scared enough not to tell our families?" He didn't say anything. I always kept my family out of my life because once they were involved, there was no coming back. I would have rather died then getting back involved with them but they hurt him. They hurt Dean.
"You just have to get me the money there is no reason to involve the big ones." He knew I was serious about this.
"We both know you don't want this just get me money and we'll go separate ways."
"You are dead Francisco, you heard me? Dead! I'll kill you myself if it's necessary. You started a fucking war well done." That's when he hung up.