Chapter No. 18

Sophia

I watched his tall figure retreating into his room with that girl with perfect hair and the fake smile on my face changed into a sour frown.

I couldn't decipher what was wrong with him. Why couldn't he settle with ome nice girl instead of bringing home these random hoes every night?

Not cool, Sophia. You sound like such a major bitch.

When I returned after spending the day with Alaric, I was elated. His presence made me feel excited and scared at the same time; scared of messing up like every other time. He was the perfect guy; smart, considerate, handsome and kind, everything I wanted in my man. But now, my mood was ruined because of Noah and his booty call.

With a sour expression on my face, I returned to my room and changed into my pajamas. Once I snuggled into the blanket, my phone started ringing. It was Alicia, my high-school's best friend. I answered the call and her excited voice shouted, "Hi."

"Hey Ali, how are you?" I asked her.

"Not just Ali. You are now talking to Dr. Alicia King." she giggled and I joined in.

"Okay, Dr. Alicia King, what's the cure of a broken heart? My ex best-friend hasn't called me once in two months." I asked, pouting, although she couldn't see me.

"Stop being so cheesy." she whined. "By the way, how are you?"

Her words were followed by a loud moan that erupted from Noah's room and I let out an agitated groan. "Peachy." I rolled my eyes.

"Sound like somebody is having the time of her life." she teased me and then mimicked a smooching sound.

"Yep, sounds like your future brother-in-law is showing a girl his Hammer of Thor." I scoffed dryly.

This earned me a booming chuckle from her. "Is it Noah?" she asked, still laughing.

"The one and only." I answered.

"It's still a mystery to me how you haven't killed him yet. Like, didn't you hate him in high-school?" she asked and that reminded me of how I never told her or Emily about my hookup with Noah.

"Well, he isn't usually that irritating. Well, he is, but then he cooks this amazing food and he took care of me when I was sick." I said with a smile on my face as the memory flashed in front of my eyes.

"That's great. By the way, I called to tell you that I'll be visiting the city next week. Let's have a sleepover." she said and excitement rushed through my being at hearing this.

"That's great. I'll be looking forward to it. We should invite Emily too." I proposed.

"Yeah, I asked her already. She said she will try to ask her boss for a leave." she informed. "By the way, Principal Brown called."

"Really? Why?" We all knew things weren't exactly great between Adam and his father.

"To invite Adam and me to his retirement party." she uttered and I nodded in understanding.

"Is he going?" I asked.

"Well, I'll try to convince him. Mr. Brown sounded genuinely sad and he really wants him there." she muttered.

"Hmm. I guess," I added my opinion.

We talked for a while, about our practical life and how things had changed over the years. Then she excused herself saying Adam was calling for her. It felt nice to know that both of them were happy together otherwise I have known couples who breaks up as soon as they enter college.