Chapter No. 41

Noah

I ordered the bartender to make another drink while messaging my head lightly. The music was blasting in my ears, increasing the torture on my already exploding head. I was torn between leaving and staying; between choosing my dream job and two more months with Sophia. Well, even if I choose the latter, she had already rejected me more than twice so there was no point in contemplating.

Besides, it's just a phase. I'm grieving because of the two passionate nights I have spent with her. Once I am out of this city, I will forget about her.

"Hey handsome, mind dancing with me?" A feminine voice whispered in my ears. I turned around to watch the tall brunette. She looked somewhat like Sophia, her hair the same shade of brown.

"I have a girlfriend." I lied and she pouted. I don't know why but being with someone else felt like I was cheating on Sophia, even though we had no relationship.

"So whose the girl who stole your heart?" A familiar voice said and I turned around, a full blown beaming smile appeared on my face.

"Man, I was waiting for you." I stood up and engulfed my best friend in a hug.

"I was stuck in traffic. New York is still the same," Justin replied. He was my best friend from high school and although we lived far away from each other, we try our best to meet up every two or three months.

We both sat down on stools and he ordered a drink for himself. "So what about this girlfriend of yours?" he asked.

"It was a lie. I was just not in mood of dancing." I said and sipped my drink.

"The Noah I knew was always in mood of dancing." he teased, earning a small punch from me.

"Tell me, how's engaged life treating you? Got any cold feet yet?" I asked and he shrugged.

"When you're whipped, you don't get cold feet my friend." he said, looking every bit in love. "Besides, my girl is aging like fine wine. How can I ever get tired of her?"

"Aww. You're so whipped." I attempted to pinch his cheeks and he slapped my hands away.

"Tell me about you. What's new?" he asked.

"Nothing much. I am going back to California." I told him.

"Really? Well it's understandable. New York didn't treat any of us good." he said.

"Well, there is something about this place that makes me want to stay here forever." I replied and a certain face appeared in front of my eyes.

"Something or someone?" he raised his eyes and a smile appeared on my face. "Noah, are you blushing?"

"No, I am not." I replied through clenched teeth.

"Yes, you are." he stated. "Tell me, who is this girl?"

"You know her." I said and his eyes furrowed.

"Don't tell me you're still pining over that girl Alicia. Man, she is never gonna be yours." he said and I rolled my eyes.

"Not her," I said.

"Then?" he asked and then the expression of pure horror appeared on his face. "Don't tell me it's Chloe. Kill me before saying her name."

"Do you think I am that crazy?" I said, horrified of even thinking about the Queen Bitch of our high school. "Its someone else."

"Well, there is Alicia but she friendzoned you a long time ago. Then there is Emily but she is mine. Chloe is nuts. Then there is Sophia who is already your roommate so-" he stopped and his eyes widened.

My cheeks heated up more, if that was even possible.

"Sophia? Sophia Stone?" he asked and I shrugged. "No freaking way." He looked like he was trying to control his laughter. "Well she is definitely hot but you sure you can handle her?"

"I don't know man. And I'll never get to know." I said with a grieved sigh.

"Then don't go. Be with her." he said, focusing all his attention on me.

"I wish I could but things are complicated between us. She isn't in mood of a relationship and even if she is, I'll be the last person for it." I exhaled loudly.

"Don't be stupid. If being with Emily has taught me anything, it's your house can never be your home if you aren't with the person you love." he said and I felt proud of his development as a person.

"Love is a big word. I am not sure if I am at that stage yet." I said, dismissing the idea.

"Of course you are. Look at you, Noah Brown. You are so much in love." he said, earning another punch from me.

...........

I opened the apartment door with my left hand, my right hand gripped around the take-out bag from a chinese place.

"Sophia, I brought your favorite chowmein---" My sentence broke in the middle when my eyes fell on her sleeping figure. She was lying on the sofa, her arm dangling on the floor and her mouth slightly parted. A notebook and various color pens were placed on her stomach, about to fell off any minute.

Smiling, I put the food away and walked towards her. Kneeling beside her, I placed her hand back on her stomach and picked up the notebook and pens.

There were pages and pages filled with new ideas about her YouTube channel. Some were about clothing ideas, some about herself and some about how to store the clothes without making a mess. She had used various colors for detailing and her handwriting was really neat.

Cute. I thought.

"Wake up, I brought food for you." I said, pulling her hair away from her face.

"Let me sleep," she replied without opening her eyes. "I'll eat it tomorrow."

"Atleast go to bed. You'll get cold here." I said and she groaned.

"No." she moaned and turned around.

"Well, you leave me with no choice then." I said and pulled her up in my arms.

Instead of opening her eyes, she snuggled deeper into my chest. Despite her adequate height, she fit perfectly in my hands. Smiling again, I walked towards her room with her still in my arms. Once I reached inside, I lay her on the bed and put the blanket over her body clad in sweats. I wonder how someone can look this hot in these oversized sweats.

While turning off the lights, I heard her whisper my name. "Noah," she said

"Yes?" I asked.

"It's cold in here." she said, opening her eyes to narrow slits.

"So?" I asked.

"You're hot." she said.

"I know, sweetheart." I replied, smirking.

"Get in bed with me, doofus." she snorted angrily this time.

Pleased with her invitation, I jumped in bed with her. She moved closer to me and wrapped her arm around my waist. Although my stomach was empty and I was in desperate need of food, sleeping with her felt like the better option.

"Good night," I said and pulled her close to me, almost crushing her in between my arms.

She was right. It was cozy to have her with me in bed. And a part of me was pounding really fast because of her proximity and surprisingly, it wasn't Noah Jr. this time.

________________________

Sorry for not updating regularly. But thankfully my exams are ending on Saturday, after a torture of three months. :(
Just hope I come out of the other side (exam hall) alive.