Chapter No. 34

Noah

I woke up earlier than usual. After doing some sit-ups and squats, I wore a comfy sweater and decided to take a run. The streets were still dark, the sound of dogs barking could be heard from a distance.

Despite the peaceful environment, my mind was a mess. Last night, I hurt Emma and spent hours listening to the torturous sound of Sophia and that guy humping.

The run did nothing to pacify me so I jogged back to the apartment with a sour face. After locking the door, I walked towards my room but stopped when I found Sophia sitting on the couch.

I stepped towards her. She had a shawl wrapped around her, a faint hickey on her neck peeking from the shawl. Her hair looked wet, as if she had just taken a shower.

"Where were you?" Sophia asked without bothering to look at me. Her eyes were fixated on the floor and no expressions were visible on her face.

"Went for a run." I replied. "What are you doing here in cold?"

"He is on my bed." she replied.

"Oh. Sleeping with a stranger on a single bed is quite scandalous, specially after humping their brains out." I said sarcastically and she glared at me.

There was sadness in her eyes, and a hint of anger. At herself? At me? Who knew!

"Don't start, Noah. I already feel like shit." she said and I felt bad for her. I walked to her couch and sat beside her.

"You will be fine, Sophia." I said and she lifted her head to look at me.

"Where did I go wrong Noah? Everybody is happy and look at me, I am a failure. My parents were right." she whispered.

"You are not a failure." I said and wrapped my arms around her shoulder. "And you are not alone. We all are still struggling, trying to find our way."

"Really? Because I feel like I am the only one." she said and rested her head on my shoulder.

"Nah, look at me. I can't even manage a girlfriend. In our brief relationship, I have disappointed her more times than I have kissed her." I said, lacing my fingers with her. She had really long fingers, her nails were always trimmed nicely.

"What happened? Where is she?" she asked.

"She left." I replied, shifting closer to her so she can lean on me properly.

"Why?" she asked.

"Because my stupid mouth told her about our one night stand years ago." I answered.

"Wow, you really are stupid. You must know she already hates me." she sighed.

"It's not her fault, you know. I mean have you looked at yourself?" I said and she chuckled. "Of course, anyone would feel insecure."

Sophia parted at this and shift on the couch so she was facing me. "Just do what she says then. If she calls me a bitch, just nods along. It doesn't matter anyway."

"It matters to me. I mean, I don't want her to hate you." I said and a small smile appeared on her lips.

"It doesn't matter, Noah. I don't care what she thinks about me. But if you really like her, then do what she says. Girls can be overdramatic sometimes." she said.

"Hmm, that's true. Well, you can go and sleep in my room." I said.

"Where will you sleep then?" she asked.

"I won't. I have some work to do." I told her and she nodded in understanding. After she left, I lay down on the couch and closed my eyes for a moment.

..........

Throughout the day in the office, Emma didn't talk to me once. Even James knew something was off, but I lied to him that everything between us was fine. In our office, relationship between employees was frowned upon, so nobody except James knew about us.

I waited for the day to over and everybody to leave so I could talk to her. I didn't want to create a scene in front of everyone. I really wanted her to forgive me for not telling her, as I couldn't afford to mess up this relationship. I didn't want to prove everyone right, everyone who said Noah Brown is not relarionship material.

Once the floor was almost empty, I made my way to her office. She usually stays there till late and tonight was no different. The lights in her office were switched on. After a knock or two, she asked me to come inside and I did the same.

She lifted her head from the file, her eyebrows dipped on seeing me. "Yes," she said in a strictly professional tone.

I walked towards her and stooped a little so we were on eye level. "I just want to ask you once. Can you please look past what happened five years ago? Because I don't know how can I make you believe there is nothing going on between Sophia and I." I took a deep sigh.

She motioned me to sit down and I did as she asked. "I want to work on us. I really do," she whispered. "But it's not easy. I am not like Sophia. I am not gorgeous. I am just an average person. Girls like her get what they want and girls like me, we are always left behind."

"I don't know why would you say that. I like you because of your confident and hearing you call yourself average, it really hurts me." I said honestly because yes, Sophia was beautiful but Emma wasn't ugly either. She was beautiful in a different way, a more sophisticated way.

"Fine, if you say so. I just want one thing from you in return," she said.

Sophia had told me to do whatever she says so I nodded in agreement. "Anything."

"Move out of that apartment." she said, crossing her arms in front of her chest. "I'll help you find another one."

I kept looking at her, waiting for her to admit she was kidding but when it didn't happen, I gripped my forehead in frustration.

"Can you do that?" she asked.

"Honestly?" I said and propped my elbows on the table. "I can't do that. I am sorry, Emma but she really needs a friend and I can't leave her behind."

She lets out a small chuckle at this. "Don't fool yourself, Noah. Can't you see? You love her."

"I don't," I half-yelled.

Her smirk depended as she descended her gaze to the floor. "You are a nice guy, Noah. I assure you I won't let this breakup affect our work."

"Emma," I whispered. I wanted to say more but the look on her face told me that she was done.

"I'm tired, Noah. Close the door when you leave." she said and rested her head on the desk.

..........

You love her.

Her voice boomed in my ears and I hit the steering wheel. She officially ended our relationship and all I could think of was her words related to Sophia. I wanted to feel pain but instead I felt relieved. Maybe it was all true, I really wasn't a relationship material.

With that, I parked the car in the parking lot and walked towards the elevator. All the thoughts jumbled up in my mind and I shook my head to clear my thoughts.

No, I don't love her.

I told myself that all I felt was towards her was attraction. It couldn't be love, could it?

When I finally entered the apartment, I decided to take a long, warm bath but stopped when I found Sophia in the kitchen, peeking inside the fridge. She was wearing sweatpants and a tanktop, her hair tied on top of head in a large bun.

I walked behind her and she turned around in surprise. Her eyes first widened but then her features relaxed on seeing me and a smile made its way to her lips. "Oh, it's you. I thought-" Her words got caught in her throat when I smashed my lips to her.

___________________________

Finally. :P