Chapter No. 47

Noah

I woke up next morning, feelish light as air and bright as sun. A smile graced my lips as I opened my eyes and expected to find Sophia with me but instead, my eyes met with empty bed.

My hands reached my phone to check the time. A message popped on the screen, as soon as I touched it.

It's the opportunity of a lifetime. Don't mess it up.

It was from Dean.

I checked the time and it was 9. Hopping out of the bed, I dragged myself to the kitchen to find Sophia. When I didn't find her there, I checked the bathroom and her bedroom but she wasn't there either.

Paranoia filled my mind and I once again walked back to my room to call her. I dialed her number but the ring came from my own room. I followed the voice and found her phone was under the pillow.

Groaning, I was about to leave my room when something caught my attention. It was a post-it note, pasted to the side of my dressing table.

I have some work to do. Sorry, couldn't be there when you leave.

Have a safe flight.

Best wishes
Sophia

My head started spinning on reading this. I thought things were changed between us after last night but I was wrong. What she said last night was a moment of weakness for her and once the physical needs were out of way, she decided I was better gone.

I didn't want to feel depressed or sad but I couldn't help it. I really wanted her to stop me and admit that she wanted me here. But guess I was wrong. She really didn't feel the same way for me.

My vision blurred as I focused my gaze on the violet walls. I squinted my eyes but the image remained distorted. Was I crying? I didn't know.

My flight was at 1 and I needed to leave the apartment by 12. I didn't want to leave before hugging her goodbye but seems like whatever work she had to do was more important than saying me goodbye.

Rubbing my eyes hard to wipe the wetness, I stood up and made my way towards the bathroom. I couldn't just be pathetic and sit here all day. If she wanted me gone that bad, I'll leave.

..........

All the packing was done and it was time to say my final goodbyes to the apartment. I went to my room and gave it a final view. I hadn't brought much and I wasn't taking much, expect my laptop, accessories, clothes, perfumes and shoes.

My gaze went to the bed and the crumbled bedsheets reminded me of how I spent the whole night making love to her, again and again, as she moaned my name.

Weird how I was always the one to escape in the morning before the girl wakes up.

Closing the door, I went to her room. It smelled like her, like fun and laughters. She was the craziest girl I have ever met. She wasn't someone who tries too hard to be life of a party, her personality was enough to command the attention of every person in a room.

I sat on her bed and imagined her presence here, dressing up, curling her hair, or maybe cleaning the life out of the rug. The thought made me smile unknowingly.

I was sitting there when I heard the doorbell. It was probably her, it had to be her.

I felt energized all of sudden and leaving everything behind, I dashed to the door. I knew she couldn't leave without saying me goodbye. I knew our bond was stronger than this.

Once I reached the door, I opened it without a pause, only to find James standing at the other sife. All the excitement left my body, leaving pure sorrow behind.

"I came to drop you off to the airport." he said, stepping inside.

"Oh," I mumbled, looking at the floor, disappointed that he wasn't Sophia.

I invited him in and dragged my suitcase to the lounge.

"So you're really leaving man," he said, a hint of sadness clear in his voice.

"Yep, I knew you'll miss me." I said, faking a laugh.

"Well, I've been used to someone irritating me for four months now." he chuckled, pushing his brown locks away.

"I'll call you Jamie," I winked at him and he rolled his eyes at the nickname he hated.

"Come on, I'll be waiting downstairs." he said and took my luggage from me.

Once he left, I took a deep sigh and looked around myself, to the place that became my home in a very short time. As I made my way to the door, my heart kept falling inside my chest; nostalgia hitting me hard.

"Good bye, Stone," I said once I closed the door.

...........

Sophia

My car was parked at the farthest corner, behind a tree. It wasn't possible for Noah to see me but I could see him clearly as he made his way out of the building and put his luggage inside the car.

He gave one last look to the building, his emotions incomprehensible from such a large distance. Every cell in my body was screaming at me to go behind him and stop him.

But I couldn't do that. Not after reading his friend's text. Last night, I had made up my mind to tell him my feelings but when that text popped up in the morning, I realised that it was the opportunity of a lifetime for him. I could go meet him anytime but this job couldn't wait. My presence would affect his decision in a bad way and I didn't want that.

He slid inside the passenger seat and after a brief moment, the car drove past the building. There were tears in my eyes but I didn't want to cry, not in the parking lot.

So I made my way to the building. Instead of stairs, I took the elevator because I needed to be in my apartment as soon as possible.

Once I was inside, I stepped towards his room. The apartment was as silent as a shady street in the midnight, and just as creepy. Pushing the door open, I walked inside the room that used to be his. Everything that belonged to him was gone, and so was he.

I gently opened the closet and it was empty, just like my life without him. The tears I was controlling were now streaming down my cheeks.

I was about to walk out when a post-it note caught my attention, on the same place where I had pasted one this morning.

I dragged myself to his dressing table to read it.

There is enough frozen food in the freezer to last a month. Don't feed on grass three times a day.

Love,
Noah.

That was the last straw.

I sat down on the floor against the foot of his bed and tears spilled out of my eyes in a dangerous speed. I felt terrible, the worse I have ever felt. Breathing was never this difficult to me.

I could have stopped him, only if I was brave enough to admit my feelings to him.

And now he was gone. Even if I go behind him after some months, things would never be same. He would forget about me and move on in his life.

_______________________

One or two chapters left at most.