Chapter No. 19

Noah

My eyes were fixated on the file in my hands but my mind was somewhere else. I tried to focus on work many times but instead, my thoughts kept diverting to Sophia. This morning, I tried to see if I had any effect on her by caging her in between my arms. But instead of her reaction, my own surprised me as I felt this weird feeling in my stomach due to her presence.

No, this couldn't be happening. I couldn't possibly feel something for her. Last time I had a crush on a girl who loved someone else, it didn't turn out to be good for me.

Someone cleared the throat and it brought me back from my thoughts. I realised that right now, I was in Emma's office, supposedly working on a client's file.

I lifted my head to look at Emma who was already staring at me with a frown plastered on her face, her arms crossed in front of her chest. "Is this boring work disturbing your wet dreams?"

I smiled in a relaxing manner, pushing those thoughts to the back of my mind. "Why? Are you jealous that I may be thinking about someone else?" I joked.

"Careful Brown, I am your boss." she said dryly but I could see the hint of mischief in her eyes.

"You didn't deny the possibility of being jealous." I pointed out and she snorted, looking away.

"Get off your high horse." she commented in a bossy manner.

"I will, if you go on a date with me." I said.

I needed to find a girlfriend as soon as possible otherwise I'll go down the same road I went once before and that road can only cause me unwanted misery.

Hearing this, she let out a chuckle, as if not believing me. "You're kidding, right?" she asked, more like taunted.

"Not at all." I replied in a confident voice and stood up, towering over her petite built. Her eyebrows dipped as she lifted her head to look into my eyes with her small ones. "Just dinner." I said.

"Don't bother, it's never going to happen." she answered in a determined voice.

"Drinks." I offered, using my most charming smile.

"No," she repeated.

"Breakfast?" I asked and she shook her head again, all the while tapping her pointed shoes on the floor.

"Just a friendly cup of coffee then, and I won't take no for an answer." I smiled sheepishly and a smile appeared on her own lips.

"You're one stubborn man, Brown. There's a small cafe near my house, Daisy's. Meet me there tomorrow after work." she said dryly and then walked past me out of the room.

..........

When I returned to the apartment, the living room was drowned in darkness and Sophia was cozied up on the couch, under the blanket, staring at the plain wall.

Taking off my coat and shoes, I joined her on the couch and pulled the blanket over my legs. "Who died?" I joked teasingly.

"My last hope of having a normal relationship with Alaric." she said and it made me chuckle. For some reason, watching her relationship with Alaric drowning gave me a weird pleasure.

"Still no kiss?" I teased her, while loosening my tie and rolling my sleeves to the elbows.

"Not even a peck," she sighed heavily.

"Well, I got a date with Emma, the girl I told you about." I informed and her head whipped towards my face.

"Date?" she repeated.