Chapter No. 22

Noah

"So, how is work?" I asked to break the awkwardness prevailed between us. The tension in the air was so thick that I could feel my cheeks heating up in anxiety.

"Fine." he replied, looking around. His face gave away his feelings that he would rather be in hell than be here with me.

"How is Adaline?" I asked in a desperate attempt of prolonging the conversation. Since the day I found out that he was my brother, I wanted to patch things up with him but he didn't allow. It wasn't his fault because throughout the highschool, I have made fun of him for his anti-social behavior.

"She is better," he responded and then after a long pause, continued. "She found someone."

"Found someone?" I asked to clear the confusion.

"A guy. It is her French tutor that I had appointed for her. Apparently, they both are in love." he said with a worried expression on his face.

"Isn't this a good thing?" I asked.

"If he is honest with her and not just a basket case." he muttered under his breath.

Adam had always been like this; he doesn't let people on easily. "You need to start trusting people. Not everyone is like..." I stopped mid-sentence, not knowing what to say.

"Like your Dad." he gritted, narrowing his eyes at me. "Ah, here comes the devil."

I angled my neck to see Dad who was walking towards us, with a huge smile on his face; his eyes fixated on Adam.

"Adam," he smiled and moved forwards to hug him but Adam had already extended his hand out for a handshake. Dad's eyes shifted to his hand and after exchanging a look with me, he shook it in a disappointed manner. "I am so happy that you are joining us tonight."

"The pleasure is all mine," Adam said and before any of us could feel happy, he added, "Sir."

Dad's happiness evaporated and pure grief left behind. He lowered his head in a defeated way and a sad smile lingered on his lips. Adam then excused himself and Dad walked to a corner with muffled steps.

Just what I was afraid of.

I watched both of them leave to opposite sides with a heavy heart.

Just when I was about to walk away, I felt Sophia's presence beside me. "That looked intense." she whispered.

"Believe me, it was." I let out an agitated sigh. "Where is Alicia?"

"She went to meet your mother." he replied.

"Oh. Seems like it's just the two of us now." I smiled at her and she shrugged. "Come on."

"Where?" she asked in confusion.

"There is a special place here." I exclaimed and then laced her fingers with mine. We passed through the boring people engrossed in their boring conversations and stopped when we reached the stairs.

I led her up the stairs and turned to left where my room was used to be. Instead of entering inside my room, I walked past it and entered the next room, with her footsteps silently following me.

"God, where are we?" she groaned while I searched for the light switch.

Once I turned the lights on, the room that used to be my sanctuary appeared in front of our eyes. This room was my go-to-place whenever I felt sad or lonely. It was a room larger than my own but I never let anyone come here. It was my secret and nobody except my highschool best friend Justin was allowed there.