Chapter No. 45

Sophia

'Fuck you Sophia, fuck you for being so stupid.' I cursed myself.

It was Tuesday evening and Noah hasn't returned home after the party. I called him but it went straight to voicemail. I waited for him the whole night but he didn't come. I had no idea what to do or where to find him.

I was worried for him and more importantly, I was angry at myself for being a dick. He was here for just four more days and now because of my rudeness, he preferred spending these four days away from me.

I didn't go to cafe today. Without him, the apartment felt haunted. There was nobody to make me laugh, to make me food when I was hungry, to sit with me when I was alone, to hug me when I cried.

There was this constricting feeling in my chest, making breathing harder for me. I wanted him, I needed him, more than I ever realised. Somehow, he became the most important part of my life without me knowing.

I spent the whole day cleaning the apartment, every inch of it, to calm myself but even that didn't help this time. I didn't clean his room though, because it felt like I was invading.

Now because of not eating for the whole day, my stomach was growling, but I didn't want to eat, not when my food partner was gone. But I couldn't stay hungry forever. To curb the grumbling of my stomach, I went to the kitchen and poured all the vegetables from the fridge in a bowl to make a salad.

While I was cutting the lettuce, I heard the sound of keys from the door. There were familiar footsteps coming towards me, increasing my heartbeat.

And then after a brief moment, Noah's face appeared through the living room, brightening the apartment with his presence.

"Hi," he smiled and I felt weak in my knees.

I wanted to hug him so desperately, and kiss the hell out of him but after what happened on Sunday night, I couldn't do that so I whispered, "Hi."

He clicked his tongue when he noticed the salad bowl. "We don't eat grass in this house when I'm in charge of kitchen." he chuckled and then reached the fridge, pulling out some frozen kebabs from inside. Taking off his coat, he put it aside and folded his sleeves to elbow, looking amazing as always.

"Where were you?" I asked, forgetting about the food or hunger.

He hesitated before replying, "I was crashing at James' house."

"Oh," I mumbled. His presence calmed my racing heartbeat without even doing anything and I was grateful for him for that, and also a little afraid because of how much I depend on him.

"When are you leaving?" I asked while he put a slice of butter on the pan.

"The day after tomorrow." he said, his voice aloof.

I gulped, fighting the urge to beg him not to go. "I don't want us to be strangers for next two days. So I am sorry for what I said." I apoligized and he lifted his gaze from the pan.

There was softness in his eyes and a hint of adoration. "I wouldn't want that too, Stone. So sorry for being a dick to you."

I smiled and stepped closer to him. Every nerve in my body was pushing me to kiss him but I couldn't do that, not after he clearly said he doesn't want to hookup with me again.

"How's your prep going?" he asked.

"Prep for what?" I asked in confusion.

"The interview. Its tomorrow, right?" he said and my eyes bulged out of the sockets. Because of Noah's thoughts, I totally forgot about the interview.