Part 2: One identity down, one to go

"Adrian you need to eat. All you've done is stay in here and watch Nova. Maybe you need to learn to let her go." Simon told his adopted son.
    "I can't Pops. I can't lose her. She's already Nightmare, but she can't die. I love her too much for that."
     "Adrian there is nothing you can do. She's in a coma and there is nothing you can do. You brought her here and now we let the healers take care of her."
     "Pops you don't understand. I did this to her. I shot her. I practically killed her." Tears spilled out of Adrian's eyes and he put his head in between his legs.
     "Adrian this is not your fault. I think we both know, that Nova knew this would happen. And she was prepared for it." Adrian sighed again. "Adrian please. Go see your friends. They are worried about you." Adrian nodded and left Novas room, not before looking at her once more. He walked to the bench where his friends sat.
     "Adrian!" Ruby squealed. "Are you ok? You haven't eaten in 2 days."
     "I'm sorry. I've just been..."
     "Worried about Nova." Danna finished for him. She had finally been set free and Adrian thought she hated Nova.
     "Why are you so worried dude? She's Nightmare! She tried to hurt Max!" Oscar yelled.
     "I'm not sure. There's just- there's something about her. I don't know." Adrian looked at the ground. He was torn. He wanted to hate Nova, but he couldn't. No matter what, all he felt for her was love.
     "Adrian can we talk?" Danna asked. "Privately." She added. Adrian nodded and followed Danna to a corner of the room. "You love her still don't you." Adrian could only nod. "She really is amazing. Except for the Nightmare part."
     "I don't know how she pulled it all off. Even if she is an anarchist she cares about the people of Gatlon. When the library fiasco happened, she was determined to look for that kid and wanted to save him. She shot the Detonator. What villain does these things and is nothing but a horrible person. I know she has her flaws, but she cares. She is still amazing."
     "I get what you mean. When I was trapped I saw what she did. The way Ace talked to her. It was weird. As you know I can't hear, only sense things. But I can also see. And when I saw how Ace Anarchy looked at Nova it was weird. He looked at her like a dad would look at his kid. She looked at him like he was family sort of. They had some kind of weird connection. Not romantic, but definitely a connection."
     "Adrian! Get in here!" Someone yelled. Adrian spun around and saw his other dad, Captain Chromium, looking very excited.
     "What is it? Did something happen to Nova?" Adrian asked, getting worried.
     "She's awake!" That was all Adrian needed. He bolted to the room. He stopped short. There Nova was laying on the bed, her eyes open. But her face was contorted with pain. Her hand gripped the sides of the bed she was on. Nova hissed in pain.
     "Nova..." Adrian breathed out. Her eyes snapped to him in surprise. For some reason the pain on her face left and fear came in. Her eyes widened and her chest rose fast. She tried sitting up but cried out in pain. She held her chest as pain seeped in. Adrian walked quickly over to Nova, and eased her back into her original position. "It's ok. You're ok. Maybe a little bruised up but otherwise you're fine." Nova's eyes held and unreadable emotion. Like she was confused and scared and in pain at the same time.
     "Why? Why am I hear. Why am I not dead?!" She yelled. Adrian almost laughed at how even captured and in pain, she never managed to change.
     "You really think that I would let you die? Nova I don't care that you're Nightmare. Nova I love you."
     "I know." She whispered. Adrian was instantly confused.
     "How?" He asked.
     "I heard everything. I heard you talking to you parents and to me." She explained.
     "Nova I'm so sorry. I didn't know- if I had know-" Nova put her finger to his lips silencing him.
     "When do I go to Cragmore?" She asked as if it was nothing. She was so calm and acted as if she knew this would happen. She probably did, Adrian thought.
     "I'm not sure. How are you so calm about that." He asked.
     "I knew it would happen. Maybe time in prison would do me good."
     "We might give you a trial." Adrian whispered.
     "Why? I tried to murder your dad, and all the other council members. I lied to the renegades and pretended to be one of you. I'm nothing but a villain."
     "I think you forgot to mention what you did to Max." Oscar said from the doorway. "Why Nova? Are you that heartless to try and murder a 10 year old!"
     "It wasn't me!" She shouted. She started getting up again, ignoring Adrian's attempts to stop her. Nova was still on her uniform, minus the tool belt and mask. "It was Frostbite! As much as I dislike the Renegades I would never hurt him." She yelled.
      "Then why were you standing over him, with his blood on your hands?" Adrian asked darkly. "And why would Frostbite do that? Sure she is a witch, but she isn't that bad." Suddenly Nova realized something. She stumbled back into the bed, her eyes never leaving Adrian.
      "How?" She asked. Adrian's brow furrowed. "Why?" She asked him. Suddenly Adrian understood.
     "I didn't try to hurt anyone. I was trying to help. Frostbite killed Hawthorn not me. Yes, I was rusty at first, but I got better. Now answer my question." His gaze became dark again.
     "Frostbite was trying to hit me with the spear. I ducked, but Max was behind me. He had been trying to get the helmet. The spear hit him. I put Frostbite to sleep and her powers helped save Max. I was trying to help him. Sure, he took away my uncle's powers, but that wasn't his fault. It was your dad's." She finished.
     "Your uncle?"

Ok I know that ending sucked, but I just wanted to post something. Please check out my new book Bad Ass Billionaire. I hope you enjoyed!