Chapter 21 - Plain Sailing

"Nikki will you listen to me?"

"Why is she here?" Rach cringed at the sound of Vanity's screeching as they sat in the bus. She watched out the window. Nikki with his leather jacket thrown over his shoulder, his sunglasses on as he tried to walk away from Vanity. The cut on the side of his cheek didn't go unnoticed by Rach.

He climbed into the van and slid the door shut as Vanity stood there with her hands on her hips.

"You can't just leave me here Nikki!"

"Why don't you get fucking Prince to pick you up" He yelled back to her. Rach swallowed, jealousy? Really?

Everyone sat there feeling awkward until Mick started the engine and they headed to their next place. They were getting an actual tour bus soon, this van would be no more after the next two dates.

"Dude you look yellow" Tommy pointed out to Nikki who scowled. He turned in his seat to face Rach in the seat behind him.  He leant over to her, his breath on her cheek.

"You didn't wait for me" He hissed. She moved back with a frown.

"I didn't feel like listening to the conversation you were having with your girlfriend" She replied lowly. She followed his gaze to the spare seat next to her and folded her arms as he clambered to the spare seat. He looked out the window behind them, Vanity tantrumming in the distance.

"You want to be my girlfriend Rach?" He asked quietly again. She swallowed hard, she didn't like his tone. The grip he had on her seatbelt as he edged towards him.

"Dude, leave her alone" Tommy warned pushing Nikki back. "Can't you see you're making her uncomfortable."

"Where did you go Rach? You suck Tommy nice and hard?" Nikki spat. The sound echoed throughout the van. The slap between her hand and his cheek. He stilled in shock as his cheek stung.

"Fuck you Nikki. You don't want me remember?" She reminded as she sank back in her seat.

Wet hair, steam, condensation. She stared in the mirror, a smudge where she had tried to clear it to see. She stared at the baggy in front of her. Coke. She opened it and laid it out in front of her. She leant down, staring at the semi smooth line. Gently, she blew it into the sink. Watching as the running water pushed it down the drain.

Drugs were just about money. Money she wasn't sure she needed anymore. She was making good money on the tour. Selling shirts and stuff. It wasn't big bucks, but it was steady.

A knock startled her. She went out the bathroom and opened the hotel room door. She frowned at the bouquet of roses shoved in her face by the bell boy.

"What is this?" She asked but he had already left. She kicked the door closed with her foot and sat down on the bed. Maybe they were from Tommy, or even Vince if he was trying hard enough.

Heroin is my drug of choice.
It helps me protect myself from you. From everything you make me feel. I sleep with whores to satisfy something within me. I sleep with Vanity to get the fix I need.

But nothing fixes me.
You're all I need.
I love you.

She didn't need a name or a sign off. He didn't want to put his name to it. In hopes she would never bring it up. Her heart was in her throat, excited yet aching. They could never be together, because there would always be Heroin so there would always be Vanity.

She remembered there was a party tonight. It lifted her spirits slightly. Just seeing him, even if she had to see Vanity.

The show was amazing, the shirts were sold out. She was ready to party. She had called Lita before, Lita had her own things going on back home now. Those things were called Simon who was auditioning members for his own band. She wanted her own rockstar.

The corridor was full of drunk people, coming in and out of every room. She guessed management had booked out the whole floor.

She got some looks from Groupies, she got some looks from some other band members on the bill. But she was there for one thing, to party with her guys.

It didn't take her long to find Tommy. He was in the corner laughing as some topless blonde straddled him. She guessed Tommy would be occupied tonight. Mick was sat on his own drinking, glaring away anyone who wanted to make small talk.

Nikki was not anywhere, she guessed he would be tripping in a bedroom somewhere with Vanity. She headed outside to look at the glow of the pool down below.

The party was not what she wanted after all. She headed to the empty pool. She was sober and she wanted to swim. She pulled off her clothes and slowly pushed herself into the semi cold water. She smiled and hummed to the Cheap Trick song blasting out from the party.

After a couple of refreshing laps, she closed her eyes and leant against the poolside. She felt a breeze and peeled open an eye. Opposite her, she watched Nikki pull off his shirt and kick off his shoes and socks. She grinned at him as he unhooked his belt.

"I thought you were at the party" She hummed quietly watching him pull down his jeans. Commando as expected.

"I saw you were having your own party" He replied quietly as he jumped into the pool. He couldn't have shot up, he seemed too alert. No addict wanted to be in a cold ass pool.

She squealed as she felt his hand on her ankle. He came up in front of her with a grin. She moved back the black wet hair out of his face. His toothy grin drove her wild as she watched the droplets fall from his chin. His hands wrapped around her as her legs wrapped around him.

"So I brought a girl flowers for the first time in my life" He mentioned as he walked around the pool, holding her against him. "And she didn't come see me after.."

His eyes bored into hers and she swallowed. He was sober. Her thumb stroked his collarbone as she felt them pushing against the water.

"Maybe she thought you had other intentions" She replied. "Maybe she's tired of being hurt.."

"I'm not gonna hurt her anymore" He murmured lowly. Silence passed between them. He hesitated momentarily before leaning in and kissing her softly.

It could have lasted forever, just like they wanted to. Pure sober truthful bliss. The sound of excited yelling broke them apart as they watched the party run out into the pool as people jumped in to join.

Nikki laughed and held her tightly to him.

"Don't worry babe, I'll protect you" He winked. She smirked and moved away from him.

"You just wanna grab a handful" She said with a raised eyebrow. He smirked and shrugged, lunging for her but she was too far away.

"You'll have to catch me first Sixx" She teased as she swam towards the rest of the people.