Chapter 24 - Save Our Souls

"I can give you the world

"I can give you the world."

"I don't want the world Nikki."

He sat there staring out the window, a sour taste in his mouth. He watched as the bag was dropped in his lap, her laugh in his ear, her head on his shoulder. He felt his leg shaking, the cure was in his lap as he watched the world go by. Her hair, her smell, just all so suffocating. He felt her breath on his face as she learnt into him. He shoved her away with a glare, her falling into the aisle of seats.

"Leave me the fuck alone."

She glared at him and he almost dared her. She ran a patronising hand through his hair before tugging it hard. He grimaced at the sudden pain.

"So we are ready to record Theatre of Pain from next week and tonight's our last show so let's make it count." Doc stated to the band.

"Pull over!" Nikki yelled at the driver. "NOW!"

The guys looked up from further behind as the bus halted. Nikki flipped through the pages of his journal until he found the paper. He got up and ran off the bus.

"Where the fuck is he going? We are in the middle of nowhere" Vince said watching Nikki walk off down the highway.

"Vanity where's you're boyfriend gone?" Mick yelled as she stood in the kitchenette.

"I'm not his keeper, probably to shoot up." She replied.

Tommy looked at the discarded baggy on the seat, he looked at Vince and shrugged.

It felt like he had walked for miles until he found a phone. He dialled the phone as he looked at the paper, waiting for it to be connected.

"Hello?"

Relief hit him and then anger, he was so pissed that he almost wanted to hang up. Knowing she was ok all along without checking in with any of them. He went to speak, to yell, but nothing.

"Nikki" She spoke softly with a small sad chuckle. He held onto the phone tightly, he could cry, his heart ached.

"Remember the last record store we went into and I brought that album you hate? Tears for Fears.." She sobbed with a laugh. "...There's a song and it reminds me of you."

He listened to her as she repeated the song and cried. He wondered what she was doing right now. He watched as the bus came into sight as it reversed back towards him. He heard the line click and closed his eyes. He shook as he leant against the phone.

"And when you've taken down your guard. If I could change your mind, I'd really love to break your heart.."

"Dude, there is a phone on the bus" Tommy yelled from the window of the bus. When he received no response he sighed. He had done this to himself.