Chapter 27 - City of Angels

Nikki wandered the streets of LA

Nikki wandered the streets of LA. He could have picked up at virtually any corner if he wanted to. But he didn't, he just kept driving.

He didn't want to go home, he didn't want to risk the temptation of being alone in that house. He wondered if he was free from the hold that smack had on him. He didn't feel ill, he wasn't shaking. His eyes looked at himself in the rear view mirror, he looked fine.

He thought about Rach with a sigh. She needed to let him in...again. He missed the way she trusted him, like before. With every record, every talk, every show. They were just on the same page. Until he started fucking things up constantly.

He knew he needed to get rid of Vanity, she was his getaway card for too long. He parked up at the side of the road and walked over to the payphone. He cringed at what was coming. Dialling her number, he waited for her to answer.

"Finally, it took you long enough to call me"

He didn't know how she knew it was him, he hadn't said a word.

"Look, I don't think this is working out. We need to stop seeing each other. As friends or drug buddies or whatever, it needs to stop" Nikki said sternly. He heard her laugh and he rolled his eyes.

"You couldn't say this to me face to face? Where's your balls Nikki"

"If I did this in person you would probably try to kill me or you'd tempt me. I didn't wanna risk either" Nikki admitted.

"So you are tempted by me. Look, you don't love this girl if you did you wouldn't keep coming back to me" Vanity replied in an amused tone.

"You know it's not you I keep coming back to Vanity. I don't love you. Never have, never will." Nikki hung up the phone and took his change. He wasn't sure if she would stay away, but at least he tried.

Tap tap tap

Rach got up from her bed and looked out her window. She frowned seeing Nikki stood there, only lit by the floodlights of the house.

"You know we have a front door right?" Rach said teasingly, testing the water after their fight. He sat down on the grass and sighed.

"Have you finished being a bitch?" He asked her. She chewed her lip and nodded, leaning further out the window, trying to tell if he had shot up. He knew what she was looking for. "I'm not high."

"But you wish you were?" She asked and he smirked.

"But I wish I was" He murmured in agreement. "Do you love Vince?"