The American Civil War (Tom Holland)

A/N: A double update because I feel guilty for not posting for a while.

Word Count: 993 words

Warnings: the feels

——————————————————————

It had been over 6 months since your Husband Tom had left to fight in the civil war. You lived together in Illinois and were supporting the North Side, opposing slavery. You missed everything about Tom, his kisses, his company, his scent, the way he would hold you. You felt empty without him, like there wasn't anything to do in life.

You were worried 24/7. There wasn't a second that went by where you didn't worry about Tom. Your brain had come up with every possible way that Tom could get injured or die.  You hid your worry in your work. You had resorted to cleaning everything, doing extra work on your farm. And the worst part of it all was that you were pregnant, and Tom didn't even know. He wouldn't be back in time for the birth of your beautiful baby girl. You and Tom had planned out names for your children when you got married. 

You were going to name your unborn daughter Lillian Marie Holland. (A/N: I couldn't think of any other names. 😂) You were drawing nearer and nearer to your due date and you wanted more than anything for Tom to be there, but you knew it sadly couldn't happen. You still remember everything that happened the day he left.

"Y/n!" Tom called.

"Yes!" You called from the living room, setting down the sweater you were mending. Tom walked into the room with the mail in his hands. He looked at the letter with a shocked and scared expression. You immediately knew what was up. 

You began to cry. You walked up to Tom and pulled him into a tight hug. Tom was needed in the war. You kissed Tom passionately.

"It'll be okay." You said, reassuring him. He smiled weakly at you. You could see it in his eyes that he truly believed he would die out on that battlefield. You pulled him into another kiss, wanting more and more with each. You kissed as if one of you were going to die within a few minutes. Tom picked you up and led you upstairs to your bedroom. 

He opened the door and placed you down on the bed. You layer down and Tom laid on-top of you. You kissed him, pulling his head closer to you. His hands roamed your body. You two were in love and no one could do anything to break the two of you apart.

The next day Tom had to leave for training. It was a heartfelt goodbye full of many kisses and tears, but eventually he left. You tried to write letters to Tom, but he said he might not always be able to respond due to his training or missions he had to go on. You had mailed him a letter yesterday. The last time you had gotten a response was 2 weeks ago. This was very normal due to the amount of time it took to deliver letters, so you weren't worried.

You realized what time it was and decided to go out and get the mail. You walked to the front if your house, unlocked the door and grabbed the mail out of the mail box. You closed the door while looking at the letters. You stopped at a letter that was addressed to you from the military. You slowly opened it and read the first few sentences and you were shocked.

*the next day*

You were sitting on the front porch reading a book when something caught your attention. Movement, from across the field. You looked up to see none other than your husband, Tom Holland standing in your driveway. 

You leapt up from your seat and sprinted over to him tears in your eyes. Tom was crying too. Everything was moving in slow motion. You were getting closer and closer. You screamed his name and he screamed yours. You were now 20 feet away from each other.

He's home. He's safe. He's mine. I'll tell him about the baby. I'll get to kiss him again, he'll hold me in his arms. Those were just a few of the many thoughts that were spiraling around your head. 

You heard his beautiful English accent call your name and he dropped his bags and held out his arms, to embrace you. You ran towards him, 1 foot away. You were about to enter his embrace. You were ready to feel his arms around yours, keeping you safe from all evil out there. You went to give him the tightest hug only to feel air.

You snapped back to reality and fell to the ground screaming. Tears poured out of your eyes and you just screamed. Letting all your emotions out. You screamed for what seemed like hours, not caring who heard. Eventually your voice broke and you just sat there crying. Tom was dead. And there was nothing you could do to change it. He had died in battle performing the bravest act imaginable.

You still couldn't wrap your head around the fact that he would never hold you again, never kiss you again, never hold you in his arms, he would never meet his child, and she would never meet her father. You wanted more than anything to join Tom right now, but you had to power through for the sake of the baby. 

You sat their in the grass sobbing and sobbing, not caring who saw you. You wanted nothing more to cry for the rest of your life. But Tom wouldn't have wanted that. He would've wanted you to power on, so you had to try.

———————————————

A/N: wow, that got dark and sad real quick. Sorry that this is a shorter chapter. I had fun writing this. Were you guys expecting the twist?

Anyways, have a great morning/afternoon/night!

- Chlo 💙🥳